Bunch of Level 1 updates came through today?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Bunch of Level 1 updates came through today?

Post by Pepi »

What are all these Mate updates?
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Bunch of Level 1 updates came through today?

Post by Pepi »

I found this in the Mint Blog ... I assume it is safe to go ahead and do the update?

MATE 1.18 coming to LMDE

Version 1.18 of the MATE desktop environment is coming to LMDE this week. This is an important update because the entire desktop is now built against GTK3.

To prepare for this update, the team ported mintMenu to GTK3 and is now adapting themes and ironing out issues.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

The level tells you the risk. They're all 1s.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

there is a problem with the Notification Area package...
maybe it is best to wait until it is sorted

viewtopic.php?f=236&t=244783&p=1310280#p1310280

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3254#comment-135412

Peter E
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

thanks !!! I will be waiting
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Well, on my system mintMenu is totally broken now, with the 1.18 updates; doesn't even show up in the panel. Also I can't get more than two workspaces, using the settings in the workspace switched applet. Text for icons on the desktop is weirdly black now, instead of white, making it much harder to read. All icons in the notification are render improperly and some for running programs (e.g. SpiderOak) don't render at all. There seem to be less keyboard shortcut options (before you could launch the terminal with a keyboard shortcut, customizable in the keyboard shortcut settings, now that's gone--and if I am recalling correctly it looks like there are a lot fewer customization options there).

With this amount of breakage, I wouldn't exactly call this level 1 updates.

Caja has also been changed so that it just shows a list of items against a white background, instead how a different shade for each line to make it more legible. Text Editor does an annoying scrolling animation, when it opens a text file to the last place you left off (before just opened directly to wherever you left off with no animation).

Honstly this is a mess. Aside from the multiple breakages, the changes to Caja and Text Editor (which I'd already seen on a different system where I have Manjaro running with Mate) to me are the kind of inteface changes that I came to Mate, because I hated what became of Gnome, with Gnome 3 (as wells as what KDE is like). Pointless animations, things that look superficially simpler or more slick, but lose functionality and are harder/more annoying to use. I like Gnome 2/Mate because it resisted all these sorts of pointless interface "upgrades." Really a bummer to see Mate going this way now, seems antithetical to it's whole raison for existence.

Perhaps it is finally time to jump ship to XFCE. I will have to look at what it's like these days. Just really sad to see these changes. Mate 1.16 was fine.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Erm... Level 4 would be more accurate on LMDE - there's a number of bugs that can't be ignored while waiting for fixes... IOW, backup your system before applying these updates (I do this anyway), or wait until fixes are released.

I'll mention a few of the bugs, but TBH, I've too much to do today to mess about, so I'm using one of my other distros until this is sorted:
  • Wifi gone after a few minutes - restarting nm-applet and/or network-manager has no effect... reboot is only fix
  • Some apps that require gksudo not starting from Menu... start fine from terminal
  • Padding between icons in notification area at least twice as much as it should be
  • USB notification displayed when ejecting DVD
That was just a 30 minute test this morning... I know it's LMDE, and I expect a few problems to sort out myself, but not good even for LMDE
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Return to “LMDE Archive”