Why won't this work ???

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Why won't this work ???

Post by Pepi »

My touchpad is configured for the taps at 1,3,2. I want it to be 1,2,3 so I added the below to a startup and it won't work?

TapButton1 = 1
TapButton2 = 3
TapButton3 = 2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why won't this work ???

Post by kevinthefixer »

I've recently dealt with this, and did it a little differently.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pixel- ... nt-1278306

We were trying (quite successfully) to get tap-to-click working on some old netbooks, and wound up writing a short script and running it at startup. The main difference I see here is that we used only one working line in the script:

Code: Select all

synclient TapButton1=1 TapButton2=3 TapButton3=2
Where you seem to be using three different lines. Also, in your screenshot you show TapButton2=2, not 2=3.

For reference, this was on Raspian, the Raspberry Pi Foundation's OS for the RPi ported to x86. It's also based on Debian Jessie. Credit to Johan de Swart.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I changed the 'startup' command to synclient TapButton1=1 TapButton2=3 TapButton3=2 and it still won't work. Put this in a file called touchpad.sh and run it and it works fine. Beatme
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Ah. Should have thought. Permissions, of course. Try an sudo in interactive mode, in front of the command.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Nope ... already tried sudo exec ....

I beginning to think there is a buy in the startup code on LMDE? I can't even get a script to launch? See no errors in the logs either?
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Dunno, maybe related to the GTK update? Shouldn't be an exec in the command.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

I've a feeling that I'm not understanding what you're trying to do, in which case my reply won't help ;)

Haven't you got the Mouse/Touchpad settings dialog in Control Centre that allow you to achieve what you want?

Here's what I mean:
Touchprefs-Screenshot.jpg
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

chrisuk wrote:I've a feeling that I'm not understanding what you're trying to do, in which case my reply won't help ;)

Haven't you got the Mouse/Touchpad settings dialog in Control Centre that allow you to achieve what you want?

Here's what I mean: Touchprefs-Screenshot.jpg
Nothing in the mouse config that will do this. By default the touchpad is set to 2 fingers will bring up the contextmenu and three fingers will do the middle mouse button. I want to change this around so 3 fingers will bring up the contextmenu and two will do nothing in my case.

Check this thread out. I've tried all these and nothing works. Kind of a pisser :x only way to get these two to switch is to manually run my script

https://askubuntu.com/questions/382110/ ... d-settings
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

BTW Chris. I said I didn't have those options on my mouse config. I do have them but they don't work. I can even disable them and it makes no changes :roll:

Bugs bugs and more bugs

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/cannot- ... ion/7582/9
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Figured it out. synclient needs a X session to run. By adding the sleep 10 command X fires up then my script runs

#!/bin/bash
sleep 10
synclient TapButton2=2 TapButton3=3
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

That makes sense--no place for a touchpad in a CLI.

Return to “LMDE Archive”