Administrative password issues

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Administrative password issues

Post by ron_h »

LMDE2 Cinnamon

When I upgraded in place LMDE1 -> LMDE2 on my desktop, I had intermittent autologin problems. Unfortunately that harddrive crashed so I did a new LMDE2 64bit install on another harddrive some months ago, and since then I've had no autologin problems. I only have a single account on this machine, set to autologin, and the machine boots up fine without me needing to supply a user name or password. If I go to System Settings-Administration and then select 'Login Window' or 'Software Sources' I am presented with the appropriate dialog box without needing to supply any password.

I've just done a new LMDE2 32bit install on an old laptop and am trying to make the setup (approximately) the same as the desktop. I only have a single account on this machine as well, also set to autologin, and the machine boots up fine without me needing to supply a user name or password. However if I go to System Settings-Administration and then select 'Login Window' or 'Software Sources' I need to supply the 'administrative password' in order to see the appropriate dialog box.

What setting do I need to change on my laptop to stop it asking for the 'administrative password' ?

Also part of the install on the laptop, I supplied a password. It seems that became both the user password and the administrative password. I can change the user password using 'passwd' in a terminal, but it seems this does not change the administrative password. How do I change the administrative password ?

Ron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Administrative password issues

Post by Cosmo. »

The need to enter the user password, whenever you want to perform system changes (updates, installing software and more) is a basic security concept of Linux. Out of a good reasons this is not optional

If you want to change the password for user root you need the command sudo passwd.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

OK, I get that.
> The need to enter the user password, whenever you want to perform system changes (updates, installing software and more) is a basic security concept of Linux. Out of a good reasons this is not optional

Please explain why I can change items on 'Login Window' on my LMDE2 desktop system without entering any password.

Thankyou for that
> If you want to change the password for user root you need the command sudo passwd.

I assume that what the dialog box calls 'Administrative password' is the same thing as password for user root, by the way.

Ron
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Ron,
on any Linux System, you have to supply the Users Pwd, in order to perform any Administrative Function,
like viewing Software Sources, or installing software from the repository.
- you can't bypass this requirement, either.
but, you can set the machine to Auto-Login, without any User Pwd being supplied.

even though you changed the User Pwd, you can still use the new Users Pwd,
by using SU or SUDO to perform some Administrative Function
- you don't need to change the Administrative Password, though,
which, under the LinuxMint System is not set, anyway.

this in itself can confuse some Linux Users, as there is other Linux Systems,
that do require some Administrative Password, to be set - - ie: Root.
- as well as the User Pwd, that is.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Pierre wrote:Ron,
on any Linux System, you have to supply the Users Pwd, in order to perform any Administrative Function,
[...].
Actually, you can bypass it, but it's not something I'd recommend (or explain)... I'll just say this to point you in the right direction: Think of the behaviour when using a Live USB/CD - how do you install without a password? ;)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

chrisuk wrote: Actually, you can bypass it, but it's not something I'd recommend (or explain)... I'll just say this to point you in the right direction: Think of the behaviour when using a Live USB/CD - how do you install without a password? ;)
which is probably why I've said that
:)
as in, it's gonna confuse someone. .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

Pierre wrote:
Ron,
[...].
Sorry, not true. I can view Software Sources from the Administration section of System Settings on my desktop system without supplying a password, since autologin is set for the user. I just checked and I still can.

I agree I have to supply a password, for example, to open Synaptic Package Manager in order to install a software package.

Ron
Last edited by ron_h on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

Pierre also said
- you don't need to change the Administrative Password, though,
which, under the LinuxMint System is not set, anyway.
That's very interesting, since my LMDE2 system on my laptop is asking for Administrative password to view Software Sources.

As I understand it, in LMDE2 (please correct me if I'm wrong) :

User password : is required to login a user, except if autologin is specified. It is also required to perform some functions. Can be changed by use of passwd in a terminal.

Root password : is required to perform some functions. When LMDE2 is installed, the install process only asks for one password so I assume the password supplied is used for both User password and Root password. Can be changed by use of sudo passwd in a terminal

Administrative password : not set in LMDE2 but some dialog boxes in LMDE2 ask for it when they should really say Root password.

Ron
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

ron_h wrote:I can view Software Sources from the Administration section of System Settings on my desktop system without supplying a password. I just checked and I still can.
In previous versions this was possible, in the current versions (at least in the main edition) this has been disabled. But in case of an in-line upgrade it may still work. The reason is, that for some programs / tools there was in the previous version an option to store the password in the keyring. If so, the password from the keyring does still get used.

You can check this, if you create (for testing) a new user account. You will not get the option to store the password in the keyring (the wording is something like "remember always") and you have to enter the password every time. Software Sources, Software Manager, Login Window settings and Users & Groups are examples for this behavior.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

My desktop LMDE2 system was a new install, not an in-line update, on a disk previously used for Windows on another PC, absolutely no connection with LMDE1. And I do not need password to view Software Sources. So it seems LMDE2 is not quite the same as Main Edition, that is, presumably some programs are back-level.

Where is keyring described ? Usage, implications etc.

On my new laptop LMDE2 32bit system, I was unable to start, or indeed use, Chromium without continually getting a popup about Login Keyring. I didn't understand the popup, and after I did some forum investigation, I used Synaptic Package Manager to remove the gnome-keyring package, and the popup stopped.

On my desktop LMDE2 64bit system, gnome-keyring is still installed. I don't use Chromium very often on that system, as I use Chrome as my default browser., but when I do use Chromium, I do not get any popup about Login Keyring.

Ron
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

ron_h wrote:My desktop LMDE2 system was a new install, not an in-line update, on a disk previously used for Windows on another PC, absolutely no connection with LMDE1.
Your starting point sounded different for me.

Return to “LMDE Archive”