Linux Mint Debian Edition 3

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kovalskisrbzorin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Debian Edition 3

Postby kovalskisrbzorin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:42 am

Hi, all forum members, I am new here, so I came to ask a question. I want to install stable OS on my main computer, but, to get new software. So, I found LMDE as a awesome choice. But, Debian 9 is recently released, so I am waiting for LMDE 3, because I do not want to upgrade or reinstall OS, when I finally set it up. So, I found LMDE 2 as a great choice, but I do not want to reinstall OS in 2-3 months when 3 comes out. But, my actually question is: When LMDE 3 comes out? Greetings for nice and friendly community, long live Mint. Cheers :D.

Pierre
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition 3

Postby Pierre » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:24 am

you could be waiting, a reasonably long time,
as the new Debian System will have be Tested internally, within the LinuxMint Team,
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09865
and before any release announcement is made.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:30 am

We don't know yet whether there will be an (easy) upgrade path from LMDE 2.

kovalskisrbzorin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kovalskisrbzorin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 am

I am waiting till the October :D.

QwertyDragon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby QwertyDragon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 pm

If the naming convention continues with female names (Betsy for LMDE2), I like Clementine for LMDE3.

youstupiddarkness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby youstupiddarkness » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Jessie-backports has many newer versions of applications. There are also some third-party backports repositories, some of which I maintain, but you've got to be aware that they could be of varying quality.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mike acker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:39 am

xenopeek wrote:We don't know yet whether there will be an (easy) upgrade path from LMDE 2.

hmmmmmm.... ??

It seems to me that where I have a system setup with the / [root] partition and the /home partition separate that it should be possible, when the time comes, to just install lmde/3 into the existing / partition

I did this once -- replacing an LMDE/2 that wouldn't boot. at install I just took the option to select partitions manually and the update dropped right in.

when it finished all the data in /home was preserved -- even the Virtual box and guest machine still all worked perfect!

I did have to re-install apps. but, as we know -- we can re-install apps -- but we have to protect our /home data with our own backups.

the interesting question about this of course is the user-id........ if i remember right i just used the same user name for the re-install and it all worked as i had hoped it would.

I wonder though -- if I can copy a user account from one /home partition to another ........ Example: suppose that a user wants to move her /home/user account from one machine to another. I'm thinking I should be able to just archive her user folder from the /home partition and restore it to the /home partition in another box. i'm thinking her user-id, password, and file permissions should all be preserved -- along with files in dot-land such as the database for Shotwell -- which lives in .local -- .thunderbird -- and .gnupg ----- I should be able to migrate all these key files to a new home and have them still work.

if my thinking on this is good folks interested in LMDE/3 should be able to install lmde/2 now and then update to lmde/3

in the worst case one might have to create a new LMDE/3 system and then migrate all user data from either backup disks or from the /home directory of the LMDE/2 system ( if you have a case that holds 2 or more disks you can have the LMDE/2 on one disk and then install the LMDE/3 on a new one . For lap-tops an external hard drive backup disk is probably a good method ) . I always worry about file permissions in doing this though.
My Computer: IBM 360/50 c. 1975
¡Viva la Resistencia!

sdibaja
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sdibaja » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 am

@mike acker
all good options.
another method: copy the /home partition with Gparted.
I do caution, after the copy has finished use Gparted again to set a new UUID on the copy (and change the Label also).
I have been using that method a lot, never a problem. (I stick with Mate and Xfce so have not encountered compatibility problems)
Peter

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition 3 -- move user to new disc

Postby mike acker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:37 pm

sdibaja wrote:@mike acker
all good options.
another method: copy the /home partition with Gparted.
I do caution, after the copy has finished use Gparted again to set a new UUID on the copy (and change the Label also).
I have been using that method a lot, never a problem. (I stick with Mate and Xfce so have not encountered compatibility problems)

that would copy the partition with the disk not mounted -- yes?

in this case the source computer has 4 users. One user wants her own computer.

what I suspect is: if I take a new disk and partition it and then put her files into what will become the new /home folder -- when I install LMDE -- I think -- I'm not at all sure -- but I think it's going to pick her up as a user because it finds her in the /home folder during install.

dunno fer sure-- I'll probably have to try it to find out ! the thing that needs care is to be sure all her files have the proper permissions.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

axisofevil
Level 1
Level 1

Postby axisofevil » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:28 am

I notice that there is a very straightforward upgrade path in Debian from Jessie to Stretch.
Obviously, this is only to be expected.

What is the problem with LMDE?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:35 am

You're mixing up two different things here. One is you can upgrade from Debian Jessie to Stretch. Replacing the packages you have installed from the Jessie repository with (much!) newer versions of those packages from Stretch. A similar upgrade path may be possible between LMDE 2 and LMDE 3.

However LMDE also has its own repositories. The packages in that repository have been developed, compiled, packaged and tested against the software (libraries and other operating software components) from Debian Jessie. There is not yet a LMDE repository with the same packages developed, compiled, packaged and tested against Debian Stretch. Hence you can't upgrade yet, because you can only upgrade the Debian repository but not the LMDE repository that goes with it.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mike acker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:29 am

the approach I hope to take will be:

1. partition a new disk in the usual manner:
/
/home
/swap
/ext

2. copy my 2 user folders from my existing sysres to my new /home. my existing SYSRES is not partitioned properly: the whole system is in / and it has a /home folder rather than a /home partition.

3. install LMDE/3 to the new drive.

4. re-install programs as needed thus getting them from the new repository.

5. review change levels; install updates to any programs as may be needed -- LibreOffice, Darktable...

"Hope is not a Method"

I'm hoping the install of LMDE/3 will recognize the existing user folders and just accept those as the users. if it doesn't, then: "Plan B" -- rebuild the system from the backup drives.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Mister.T
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Mister.T » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 am

Can't figure out why, as LMDE 2 is based on Debian Stable, that we can't do as Debian does as each "Stable" release comes out: just change the Apt repos and do a dist-upgrade ??????
LMDE2 and Mint 17.3
HP Pavilion 500-260ea
8Gb ram
AMD A10 6700 (3.7GHz) 4 core
Nvidia GTX 645

zorzi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zorzi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 am

Can't figure out why, as LMDE 2 is based on Debian Stable, that we can't do as Debian does as each "Stable" release comes out: just change the Apt repos and do a dist-upgrade ??????

This is risky and may break some dependencies between the Debian Jessie base and the mint system. But why not give it a try...
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6435 (Athlon64 2x 2,6Ghz, Radeon R7-240, Ram 4 Go, HD 500 Go) / Debian Stretch (XFCE)
Laptop: Packard-Bell EasyNote G1320 (Celeron 1,3 Ghz, ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP, Ram 1,2 Go, HD 40 Go) / Debian Stretch

sdibaja
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sdibaja » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:24 am

LMDE is kinda far from Debian... "...LMDE also has its own repositories..." xenopeek
that makes repairing or modifying LMDE a more difficult task, especially frustrating when something inane happens to a perfectly functioning system and us end users just want stability.

Got any more of those Level 1 updates?
Peter

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred Barclay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Mister.T wrote:Can't figure out why, as LMDE 2 is based on Debian Stable, that we can't do as Debian does as each "Stable" release comes out: just change the Apt repos and do a dist-upgrade ??????

The trouble is, as xenopeek mentioned above, that LMDE 2 is Debian 8 + extra Mint repositories. If you were to upgrade to Debian 9, you'd have the correct Debian repos but the Mint repos would still only provide packages built to work on Debian 8. Probably something would break soon.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

sdibaja
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sdibaja » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:
Mister.T wrote:Can't figure out why, as LMDE 2 is based on Debian Stable, that we can't do as Debian does as each "Stable" release comes out: just change the Apt repos and do a dist-upgrade ??????

The trouble is, as xenopeek mentioned above, that LMDE 2 is Debian 8 + extra Mint repositories. If you were to upgrade to Debian 9, you'd have the correct Debian repos but the Mint repos would still only provide packages built to work on Debian 8. Probably something would break soon.

I actually tried that a couple times on test installs (LMDE Mate). It broke badly, as in boot-able but non-functional.
Your results may be different.
Peter

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Crewp » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:01 pm

If you desperately need Debian 9 you could always use pure Debian, it has a Mate and Cinnamon version, although I believe the Cinnamon version is 3.2 but still very usable.

lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Postby lotech » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:36 am

I am looking forward to it too, just wondering if I will recieve notification in the update manager when the new version is out, as far as I remember upgrade from LMDE to LMDE 2 is not that straight forward.
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:49 am

One more time: we don't know anything yet :wink:

Return to “Newbie Questions”