So how far off is LMDE 3?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Harfud
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition 3

Post by Harfud »

How close is LMDE3, I know during Q1 but is it looking to be sooner or later ?

Many thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I have no news on that.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

@ xenopeek

Has testing ever been considered as the base of LMDE or is that too much work?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE 1 used Debian testing as a base. LMDE 2 switched to Debian stable. Both LMDE and Linux Mint main edition are thus based long-term supported package bases.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I didn't consider the issue of security updates so that makes stable essential.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Lucap wrote:I didn't consider the issue of security updates so that makes stable essential.
On different machines, I run LMDE2 (primary machine) and Stretch. I can't recall any security updates to Stretch that didn't also occur on LMDE 2. Jessie still receives security updates and, thus, so does LMDE 2.

I would still have liked to have seen LMDE 3 released in what I consider a time appropriate implementation, but that ship has sailed. Still looking at the possibility (probability?) that I will install Stretch on the primary computer due to the nearly year long gap.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Penn wrote:I would still have liked to have seen LMDE 3 released in what I consider a time appropriate implementation, but that ship has sailed.
Me too. :(
I ended up moving to Arch.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Debian is worth the effort, honestly
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

I would still have liked to have seen LMDE 3 released in what I consider a time appropriate implementation, but that ship has sailed.
Yeah, patience is required. We've been more and more focused on LMDE3 since Stretch was released more than 6 months ago. But LMDE2 is still supported.
Hello Fred. I don't really understand how could you switch from LMDE2 to Arch with so different politics.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Please move other distro talk to Chat about Linux forum and stay on topic here about LMDE 3.
kovalskisrbzorin wrote:But, my actually question is: When LMDE 3 comes out? Greetings for nice and friendly community, long live Mint. Cheers :D.
Keep an eye on the blog for news about LMDE 3. As shared on our most recent Monthly News, we're working on LMDE 3. Developers and designers are working on migrating our software to work with the new package base of LMDE 3.
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

zorzi wrote:
I would still have liked to have seen LMDE 3 released in what I consider a time appropriate implementation, but that ship has sailed.
Yeah, patience is required. We've been more and more focused on LMDE3 since Stretch was released more than 6 months ago. But LMDE2 is still supported.
Hello Fred. I don't really understand how could you switch from LMDE2 to Arch with so different politics.
I'm curious as to what most LMDE* users are involved with - are you running server based implementations, or desktops? I would think that LMDE* would be very acceptable as a server based distribution as per Debian. Retired from the IT business for quite a while, my interests lie in desktop distros, which I use on laptops for personal use and experimentation. I still stick with Mint for my stable desktop-oriented distro - I trust it with my business transactions and the like, as it is quite stable and also offers nice frontend software support, graphics, and the like, often missing from server-oriented systems like Debian/LMDE/Devuan. Like Fred mentions, I too have over the last year started playing around with Arch and Arch-based distros (not necessarily in that order!). I found the Arch installation to be pretty straightforward, especially since Arch wikis are stellar for installation details (for a challenge, install Artix, a systemd free Arch based distro with openrc layered - the main challenge is in flawed installation documentation). Anyway, politics aside, I can't imagine using rolling-released Arch for servers - Debian/LMDE/Devuan and the like would be much more reliable on a 24/7 basis with little needed downtime. If I was still a server admin, I'd be torn between LMDE* and Devuan these days. If anything went wrong with my LMDE* installations, I'd have access to the fine Linuxmint forums for support (as opposed to Debian - aaahhhggg!), and for Devuan the core developers can be quite helpful.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Penn

Post by Penn »

zorzi wrote:
Penn wrote:I would still have liked to have seen LMDE 3 released in what I consider a time appropriate implementation, but that ship has sailed.
Required? Only if a person feels the "M" for Mint is necessary AND doesn't have a need for certain more recent software versions. A few on this forum have already stated they made the switch to Stretch and for each of us who have said it there are probably quite a few more who have switched without saying it.

In the case of the machine I have running Stretch, there was a program that needs a new lib version for which there is no backward compatibility to the Jessie base so I can't get the newer version of the program I "needed" (yes, I'm aware it is actually a want I but phrased that way for a reason). However, it is sufficient for me to only have it on that machine which I use for limited purposes. In that case it works out since one of those limited purposes at that time (not any more) was experimenting so Stretch started as an experiment for me but I like it now.

As for the "M", the only thing I miss from Mint is the update manager on that computer. I had it working at one point by several alterations to it after install from a deb (haven't tried altering source and compiling) but when it stopped working I just didn't have time to play around with it. The other Mint tools I like (mintstick and xed) install from deb files easily in Stretch.

The laptop that still has LMDE 2 is partially a matter of that "patience" and the fact I am not someone who thinks a higher version number means better. Even so, if I was doing a new install on a daily driver as that one is, it would be Stretch over the outdated LMDE2. So, that doesn't change the fact that it would be nice to have the Debian balance of newer versions but not at the cost of stability.

Which leads me to
I agree. I can see Arch as an experiment or a change in what you want from a distro but not as a direct replacement for the stability of Debian/Mint.

You sound like a developer with your above phrasing. If so, it is always nice to hear from you guys on the forum.[/quote]
Last edited by Penn on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

I'm sorry if my words were a little bit "agressive".

I understand what you feel. I was really hoping to see LMDE3 release a few times after Stretch release. And I still check potential news regularly.

But now we know that we should not have to wait very long. I switched from LMDE2 to Debian a year ago before releasing that mint tools (updater etc.) are really missing in a pure Debian Mate.
I know LMDE3 will only be provided with Cinnamon but, nevermind, I enjoy distros focused on a single DE.
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hansl »

Another example why I feel so left behind with LMDE2:
viewtopic.php?f=238&t=262413&p=1422958#p1422958
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hansl »

Fred Barclay wrote: The critical part of that quote is the and you do not have a distribution supporting you bit. ;) The Debian oldstable team still supports the 3.16 kernel, so fixes should be pushed out to Debian 8, and LMDE 2, soon.
Well, the 3.16 kernel patches have arrived; but I still don*t see the patched intel-microcode 3.20180108.0 in LMDE2?
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

re: Mate 1.18 vs Mate 1.16
I use both in Debian, 1.16 with Stretch (stable) and 1.18 with another non critical machine running Buster-Sid (testing-unstable).
Buster is buggy, not reliable. Sometimes it is a real pain to use.
there are Zero features in Buster-Sid that I would want at the price of Stability.

It is a lot of fun to play with shiny new things. I suggest it is best to do that in a separate system.

LMDE3 sounds great, I hope it is successful. I will definitely try it out. I will do my best to strip out all traces of Cinnamon and replace it with Mate, the full version not the Ubuntu Mate thing.

Best of luck Mr. Mint!
Last edited by sdibaja on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Andy-A

Post by Andy-A »

I moved to Arch too (with XFCE). No problems so far (had to downgrade a couple of packages but nothing mission-critical).

I was planning to try LMDE3 (if it wasn't already too out of date), but I can't run Cinnamon on this old box...
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Please do some work with linux mint debian edition! You have abandoned it!

Post by sdibaja »

how long will LMDE2 be supported after LMDE3 is released? In particular, the Mate version...
Peter
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

I'm not interested in Mate.
I just want the Cinnamon version.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-mi ... 9128.shtml
While LMDE 3 will be just a refreshed installation image of the rolling distro... (???)
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

axisofevil wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:33 am I'm not interested in Mate.
I just want the Cinnamon version.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-mi ... 9128.shtml
While LMDE 3 will be just a refreshed installation image of the rolling distro... (???)
You are probably good then. Mate was kinda abandoned about 10 months ago after they stubbed their toes with trying to force 1.18 version into a square hole.
Mint should stick with what they do best, and what they deeply care about: Cinnamon and Ubuntu.

I do look forward to LMDE3 Cinnamon. It will be fun to play with.

PS: the softpedia reviews are rather dated. I think they just copy/paste some old articles and don't keep up with the actual distros... or test them
Peter

Return to “LMDE Archive”