Thunderbird : Yahoo Downloads and Server Problems

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
frankmint

Thunderbird : Yahoo Downloads and Server Problems

Post by frankmint »

I have had Linux Mint for several years now but I am now trying to use Thunderbird for my Yahoo email account.
I want to keep it as simple as possible and am NOT interested in synchronisation and so on.
All i want is that when I want to read or send an email I use Thunderbird rather than Yahoo itself.

The good news : I have actually installed it and when I open it the folders down the left hand column correspond with what I see in Yahoo in terms of folder names.
And the Trash and Draft folders also show a number of messages that match the Yahoo version.
Also when there is a new message, Thunderbird will even show part of its text for a few seconds on the top right of my desktop.

The bad news : I have been unable to copy any emails from Yahoo to Thunderbird. Even messages whose text Thunderbird showed are not in their folder.
When I click the dropdown arrow on 'Get Messages' and then click 'Get All New Messages', the message I keep getting is : [UNAVAILABLE] UID FETCH Server
( even if there is only one new message ).

Do I need to change settings or something ? Please give me the Dummies' Guide.

btw, one non-issue here is space, since there is several 100G of space not in use on this laptop. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Thunderbird : Yahoo Downloads and Server Problems

Post by Cosmo. »

What type of e-mail account do you have: POP3 or IMAP?
frankmint

Post by frankmint »

I'm sorry but the main reason I've been so long in getting back here is that that question is not as simple as it seems.
Short answer is : I still do not know for certain. It seems a simple case of 'check your settings' but protocol(s) are the one thing I cannot find.
I have looked at various webpages that show how to check for Yahoo Mail settings ( saying click on gear icon, Settings etc. ).
Now I know, for instance, that my account uses 0.09% of the 1T assigned to it but the one thing I cannot find is mention of POP3/IMAP.

Since I have previously never encountered these protocol settings, the question becomes :
what are the defaults that Yahoo has set here ? ( The account is at least 15 years old. )
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open in TB the account-settings -> server settings, there you find the answer at the top.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

You and other Yahoo! Mail / Thunderbird users might want to know that Thunderbird is experiencing problems downloading Yahoo! Mail at this time. Yesterday, my Yahoo! Mail account, which is my default account on Thunderbird, was working just fine sending and receiving. Then, suddenly, Thunderbird kept asking me for my password, relentlessly... and would not load my Yahoo! emails. Some think the recent acquisition of Yahoo! by Verizon has something to do with it. Others are also experiencing this issue. Please see current topic:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1168252

In regards to your other question, if Thunderbird were to begin working correctly after the issue above, all you would need to do is create a new account on TB, and it will automatically figure out whether you have an imap account or pop3 account. Yahoo! Mail is now able to be an imap account, interfacing with Thunderbird. The result is you have the option of keeping Thunderbird in sync with your Yahoo account, or not, as your case may be.

My Yahoo! Mail server setting in TB is: imap.mail.yahoo.com; port=993

I see in my TB that the outgoing server for Yahoo! is smtp.mail.yahoo.com (for sending)
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot

Return to “LMDE Archive”