If anyone had their desktop disappear, this is why

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
0x2620

If anyone had their desktop disappear, this is why

Post by 0x2620 »

I ran some updates about a week ago and my desktop disappeared. It took me a while to figure it out, but apparently the security level for the updates which removed the old version of many, many desktop programs is 1, 2, or 3, while the security level for the updates which install the new versions is 3 or 4.

To fix it open a terminal (ctrl + alt + t), type mintupdate, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Levels and ensure that levels 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all ticked as visible. Then apply these changes, go back to mintupdate, select all, and install them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Re: If anyone had their desktop disappear, this is why

Post by scottjge »

I have installed and reinstall LMDE five times in the last day. Everything works great until I do the mint update and then the screen goes black and nothing works. I have to hold the power button down to turn the pc off. I then reboot and it goes to a blank screen and nothing works. I have tried your advice in you post but to no avail. when the computer is trying to boot I see the error of Plymouth failed, then it hangs with a blank screen until I reinstall the OS. I have absolutely no idea what is going wrong.

If anybody has any idea what I can do to fix this problem or point me to the correct info so I can get my computer back up and running, I sure would appreciate your input and advice.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post.

Scotty
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

No one ? Not any ideas at all ? Hmm its hard to believe that I found a problem that no one else has had, so I quess I will have to keep looking.

Thanks to all,
scottyjge
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "scottjge",

Not sure, but it seems like you should start your own post on this.

I am not that familiar with LMDE, but it sounds like you have a video driver issue, and maybe more.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

scottjge wrote:No one ? Not any ideas at all ? Hmm its hard to believe that I found a problem that no one else has had, so I quess I will have to keep looking.

Thanks to all,
scottyjge
I had the same thing happen when I decided to update my wife's LMDE Mate a couple hours ago. That was a Bad decision on my part, we all know Mate is broken.
I gave up and installed another OS alongside so she at least has a working computer.

sorry for your pain.

PS: as phd21 suggests, a new thread would be best.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

phd21 wrote:Hi "scottjge",

Not sure, but it seems like you should start your own post on this.

I am not that familiar with LMDE, but it sounds like you have a video driver issue, and maybe more.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I agree, a new thread would be best.

it is kinda hard to run inxi when all you have is a black screen and a cursor. :-)
and no, I was unable to run either inxi or startx from the command prompt in the rescue mode.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

Hey everyone ! Man I thought the forums were dead. Well after installing and re-installing LMDE six times and trying different things, I think it is finally fixed. In the end, I had to change my partitions from GPT to MBR and then take all Updates, all levels( 1-5). I can not explain why but when I did that, everything updated and have no problems since.

Thanks to everyone that responded, I do appreciate it. Just glad I got it to work. Thanks again.

Scottyjge

Return to “LMDE Archive”