LMDE update crashes pc

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE update crashes pc

Postby scottjge » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:08 pm

I have posted this post over in LMDE but no results. So I thought maybe someone over here may have an idea or some advise.

I have installed and reinstall LMDE five times in the last day. Everything works great until I do the mint update and then the screen goes black and nothing works. I have to hold the power button down to turn the pc off. I then reboot and it goes to a blank screen and nothing works. I have tried your advice in you post but to no avail. when the computer is trying to boot I see the error of Plymouth failed, then it hangs with a blank screen until I reinstall the OS. I have absolutely no idea what is going wrong.

If anybody has any idea what I can do to fix this problem or point me to the correct info so I can get my computer back up and running, I sure would appreciate your input and advice.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post.

Scottjge

sdibaja
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE update crashes pc

Postby sdibaja » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:26 pm

scottjge wrote:I have posted this post over in LMDE but no results. So I thought maybe someone over here may have an idea or some advise.

I have installed and reinstall LMDE five times in the last day. Everything works great until I do the mint update and then the screen goes black and nothing works. I have to hold the power button down to turn the pc off. I then reboot and it goes to a blank screen and nothing works. I have tried your advice in you post but to no avail. when the computer is trying to boot I see the error of Plymouth failed, then it hangs with a blank screen until I reinstall the OS. I have absolutely no idea what is going wrong.

If anybody has any idea what I can do to fix this problem or point me to the correct info so I can get my computer back up and running, I sure would appreciate your input and advice.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post.

Scottjge

Same here, I need to repair an Existing system with a 30gb drive and not much room to mess around. The LEVEL ONE update killed it! I am very frustrated.
Peter

Pepi
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Pepi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:34 pm

I just refreshed my Cinnamon LMDE2 and I show no updates at all. My system is running fine? Wonder if it's MATE?

sdibaja
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sdibaja » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Pepi wrote:I just refreshed my Cinnamon LMDE2 and I show no updates at all. My system is running fine? Wonder if it's MATE?

I believe it is. Perhaps it is one of the newer modifications combined with the many patches from the crash.

the issues with the MATE 1.18 updates is old news
viewtopic.php?f=236&t=244807
I managed to get past that one on a couple machines, but still not fully functional.
Peter

0x2620
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 0x2620 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Ctrl + Alt + T to get a terminal, then type "firefox" to bring up firefox so you can post here.

When trying to figure out a terminal command for a GUI program, type "apropos" then whatever the program name may be to get a list of hints.

Alt + Tab to switch between running GUI programs.

What probably happened is that you updated the level 1 and 2 programs that removed the old versions of those programs, but the new versions are levels 3 and 4. Type mintupdate in your terminal to bring up mint-update, then go to preferences and make levels 3 and 4 viewable. Run the updates and reboot. If it works or not, please tell us.

sdibaja
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sdibaja » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks.
I did get a terminal, but much of the system got wiped or broken. I even reinstalled Mate, but it did not function, too many missing dependencies.
Not worth the trouble, I harvested the files and wiped the disk and installed another OS with Mate.
Mint was my first choice, but not right now. I will keep my ear to the ground, I was very fond of LMDE.
Peter

Return to “Newbie Questions”