Do you do level number 2 updates as soon as they arrive?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Do you do level number 2 updates as soon as they arrive?

Post by Pepi »

Massive update like this makes me a bit nervous. Do you guys do an image backup before doing large amount of updates? There is lots of information about each update but to a lot of us this doesn't mean a lot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cobber

Re: Do you do level number 2 updates as soon as they arrive?

Post by Cobber »

Yes, I make an image before doing updates, when there are a lot of them.

I also do the level 2 ones first, then reboot before doing the level 4 ones or updating the kernel.

Backup images can be your best friend, and it's a good idea to make one whenever you are in doubt about installing anything.

PS: I do not have a separate Home partition, but do have partitions where my data is stored. So I only backup the Root partition - a 2 minute job.
Last edited by Cobber on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I've never had any issue's with level 2 updates.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Always install all updates from level 1 and 2, as soon as they become available.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc »

I've been using Mint for many years on 6+ computers, have not seen an update corruption yet. I also do kernel updates as it's easy to go back. Seems more likely to get a disk corruption before an update corruption. Is one thing I like about Mint, the update mechanism is more stable than many others, especially newer distros.

I do however do image my boot disks before major Mint dot releases. Don't recall having to restore from an image.
0x2620

Post by 0x2620 »

If this is the most recent batch of updates there's a chance it can uninstall a lot of desktop programs (mate-panel, among others), make sure that you install all the third and fourth level updates before you take the plunge.

Back up your data.

If all else fails, open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + T, type firefox, and post here.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I always apply every update (including levels 4 and 5). I don't back up Betsy first, but I back up my /home every few days so if I had a catastrophic update, I could recover pretty quickly.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”