[SOLVED] Uninstall search.hmyquickconverter

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
biggocharley

[SOLVED] Uninstall search.hmyquickconverter

Post by biggocharley »

Somehow this (seemingly) malware got installed on my machine. a lot of info available re Windows and Mac but nothing i can find specifically for mint or other linux distros. Clicking on the + tab in firefox should bring up a blank page but instead i get https:/ search.hmyquickconverter.com. It changes my default browser and shows a lot of features/actions I don't want. i am running LMDE2. How can I uninstall this? I have been running linux distros for years and this the only "intrusion" I have ever had. Help would be very much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn

Re: Uninstall search.hmyquickconverter

Post by Penn »

In cases where I have heard of malware on Linux it isn't the OS itself that is affected but instead just the browser. It shouldn't have been possible for this to reach root files so just eliminating the profile might fix it.

Hidden folder in your home ~/.mozilla contains the Firefox profile. Try renaming that and restart Firefox which should cause it to behave as if it is the first time it ever started. If this fixes it you can try to salvage settings, history and bookmarks from the old folder or go back to the old one just to pull bookmarks to a file and use that file to restore to the new profile.

Consider learning to use Firejail to lessen the possibility of changes reaching root.
Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr. Octagon »

In most (or all) of the cases this browser hijacker is included in "bad" browser extensions or software beside the official repos. Always be careful where you load some "extra" stuff to linux or what freaky browser extension in your browser store.

Look in your browser for (an) additional extension(s) you might not installed by yourself, first - then deinstall it. Afterwards be sure to evaluate which browser extension / software might initially caused the unwanted side installation of this "hijacker"... or "it" might happen over and over again.

Cu
Dr. Octagon
A good stumbler doesn't fall...
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I had this happen about a year ago. I had to do the above fix
biggocharley

[Solved]Re: Uninstall search.hmyquickconverter

Post by biggocharley »

Thank all of you for your quick response to my post. I followed the suggestions above and first I was not able to find anything pertinent in the hidden mozilla profiles file. I ended up going to firefox add-ons manager (menu -upper right corner) then to "extensions" I first disabled the extension labelled "search". When i was satisfied that i had the right extension I then removed it. That did the trick. Thanks again.

Return to “LMDE Archive”