System not shutting down - 'gnome-keyring-daemon not responding'

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
strypey

System not shutting down - 'gnome-keyring-daemon not responding'

Post by strypey »

I'm running 64-bit LMDE 2.0 (EDIT: with Cinammon) with all updates installed. Every time I choose Menu > Quit > Shut down I get a dialogue box pop up saying "Some programs are still running". It lists "Transmission BitTorrent Client" as having " BitTorrent activity" and "gnome-keyring-daemon" as "not responding". If I cancel out and shut down Transmission from its own menu, then choose Shut Down again, the gnome-keyring-daemon error message still comes up, and the system won't shut down unless I tell it to "Shut down anyway".

A bug? Is there anything I can do to fix it on my system?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: System not shutting down - 'gnome-keyring-daemon not responding'

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I have this same problem on one of my 4 Linux Mint Cinnamon 64-bit laptops. That specific laptop worked fine shutting down and restarting, then something happened (I don't know what or why). Sometimes the "keyring" message appears and I click "shutdown anyway", then it gets to the Linux Mint shutdown screen and just sits there, forever, until I press the Power button to shutdown/restart.
I tried all the "fixes" and yet none of them work, even after upgrading the kernel, etc....
No big deal, but it would be nice to find a true "fix" for this.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Penn

Post by Penn »

Joe2Shoe wrote:...until I press the Power button to shutdown/restart....

...No big deal, but it would be nice to find a true "fix" for this.
"No big deal" is not correct if you have to use the power button to do a hard shutdown. Than can eventually cause its own problems.

I had this issue recently. For me the fix might be different than you 2. Trying to find an answer I eventually looked at the contents of "~/.config/autostart" and saw a file for the only program that I can remember using the keyring but has since been uninstalled so I deleted that. I was running on battery power and during the time I was away from the machine it ran out (not properly handling low battery is a different issue I haven't bothered to fix yet). That, in essence, gave me part of the below solution. It hasn't happened since.

Have either of you tried this solution that worked for someone else viewtopic.php?f=90&t=249900&p=1382238&hilit=#p1382238

I do know it has been happening for quite a few people recently so keep searching the forum for the multiple topics and I'm sure you will eventually find a solution if the above doesn't work. Then you can come back and let us all know what worked.

Or go to github and see if it is being worked on there.

Oh, stypey, always let people know your DE. What works on Cinnamon might not work on Mate and if it is only happening with Cinnamon that might give a clue where to look for bug reports. I believe that might be the case since the only place I have seen reports of this outside of the Mint variants was a true Debian system running Cinnamon 3.2 but this might be a Mint issue if it is happening with Mate or XFCE.
strypey

Post by strypey »

Thanks for the tip Penn. I am using Cinammon.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Penn, Thank you for the links, but nothing has worked on my one laptop, as I had already tried those "fixes" prior.
I will keep at it until I find the solution.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Penn, I finally "fixed" it and now the laptop reboots and shutsdown normally.
I added this ADDITIONAL line to GRUB:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="reboot=acpi"

Return to “LMDE Archive”