USB stick in a sorry state

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
exxonin
Level 2
Level 2

USB stick in a sorry state

Post by exxonin »

I do want to reformat a usb stick, but it is in a sorry state. How might it be rescued? I have no information on it. Please do see image, volume 3, disk F:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: USB stick in a sorry state

Post by Pepi »

Never had any luck with a USB stick after it gets confused. I usually do the DISKPART thing on them BUT that delete all
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I have always used the dd command to clean up USB drives which have problems, and dd has never failed me.
First, run the command

Code: Select all

inxi -D
to identify the USB drive designation. My USB drive shows as /dev/sdc:
Then use dd to clean off whatever garbage might be causing the problem: (change sdX here)

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=10
Then you can use Gparted to create a new partition table and filesystem.
Last edited by austin.texas on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
exxonin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxonin »

Contrary to diskpart, for instance gparted on linux is not able to detect the erroneous usb stick. How am I to overcome this nondetection of the usb stick on linux?

Please do see image, erroneous usb stick is not detected:

Last edited by Moem on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Once more: To directly post an image, paste the link to the image itself, enclosed in [rimg] tags. Like so.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

exxonin wrote:Please do see image, erroneous usb stick is not detected:
Your image shows a USB (/dev/sdb - 62GB). Is that a different USB drive?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
exxonin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxonin »

Indeed, that is the usb stick with my working linux mint on it. Like the windows stick on my diskpart image: Disk 'C', volume 2. The erroneous usb stick is 32 GB, but does not show up, like it does on diskpart as volume 3, 'F'.
exxonin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxonin »

With 'Hiren's Boot CD' the USB stick was detected: 'sr0'. I obtained this information, please do see images:
I also got the 'udevil.conf' file of the erroneous USB stick, I do not know if this information might be helpful.

Why is it that the erroneous USB stick is detected: 'sr0', but when the terminal operates a command on it, the terminal reports: "No medium found while trying to determine filesystem size."
Last edited by exxonin on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48 am, edited 9 times in total.
Faust

Post by Faust »

I've had many of these , most often caused by writing Linux ISOs that went badly ( back in my "hopping" days :) )

In a Linux environment I go with what austin.texas recommended , 100% .... using the dd command ,
but please do make double certain that you have selected the correct target drive .
dd is " lean and mean " and will not warn you or give you second chances if you make a boo-boo .

There is another solution if you have a Windows box around ( and I hate to do this on a Linux forum , but it works ! )
Download " Partition Wizard Free " , if only because it seems to do some things that gparted can not .
eg. It will usually "see" a drive that Linux can't recognize , and it has repaired USB drives for me that I thought were doomed to the garbage bin .

.... just a few thoughts
Last edited by Faust on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

exxonin wrote:please do see images
I've given you two examples of how to use the rimg tag to post images directly in the thread, without people needing to click on them. Please take a look; I'm sure you can learn this, too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
exxonin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxonin »

I have done 'rimg':

"Image"
"Image"
"Image"
"Image"

But, I do not get your result.
Last edited by exxonin on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Try using the link to the actual image itself, not the complete page. The 'rimg' tag needs a URL that ends in an image format, such as .jpg or .png. You can get that link by rightclicking on the image and choosing 'Copy image' or similar (depending on browser).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
exxonin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxonin »

I am almost there, so why is ' read/write' access denied?

Last edited by exxonin on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exxonin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxonin »

I did place ' .jpg' on it like you did, on image, but with me does not work.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I did not just add '.jpg'. I went to the page to view the image, rightclicked on the image, and copied the URL of the image itself (not the page). That is the URL that I used.

Return to “LMDE Archive”