What is LMDE missing?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
MintBean

What is LMDE missing?

Post by MintBean »

What features are missing from LMDE that the main edition has? I know PPAs aren't available but I suspect that will become a non-issue as Flatpak grows in popularity.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn

Re: What is LMDE missing?

Post by Penn »

Support. Not just on this forum. From what I have seen of the Debian forum and other Debian resources simple questions aren't greeted with friendliness. If you have issues, be prepared to find answers on your own and if that is difficult be ready for some of those people to act like you should be a programmer with at least 10 years of Linux experience. But if you meet their high standards from what they expect from someone needing help it is good help you will receive.

Becoming outdated. Still based on the "old stable" from around 2 1/2 years ago and updating the base isn't even remotely a priority by the Mint team. It used to be LMDE got Cinnamon and other Mint updates before the main release but it has been kicked even further down the priority list since then. In most cases new shiny things aren't always so much better though and sometimes net better at all (I know of 2 programs that aren't as good with the newer versions).

Driver Manager. If your machine needs proprietary drivers be prepared for either a lot of work or accept it can't be done. However, what led me to using LMDE is the fact it is the only Distro (along with the base of true Debian) that my old Radeon works with and it works without Catalyst. In that case just the non-free drivers in the repo did the trick.

I have been using Stretch on a machine I only occasionally use and the only thing I am missing there is mintupdate. There is an acceptable alternative but it isn't quite as good. Fortunately the Mint USB tools work without issues on Stretch. Judging by how much this subforum is slowing down on activity I think a lot of former LMDE users have moved to Stretch also.

But what you get in return, whether LMDE2 or Stretch is worth it, in my opinion.

Oh good, I now get to watch Bart Curlish.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Ha! Thanks a lot Penn for the informative response. I think I'll probably stick with the main edition for now based on what you've said although it's useful to keep in mind if I inherit any low resource machines.
Cheers
shinjox27

Post by shinjox27 »

The Mint-Y Dark theme

Stronger development focus personally I think it's time to shift development focus away from Ubuntu and into Debian. Or maybe drop Ubuntu all together I've been using Linux for over 10 years now LMDE has virtualbox guest additions pre installed Cinnamon is way smoother and most hardware support comes built in I could go on but most of that is opinionated however these are 3 critical issues to a smooth user experience If I run the Main branch right after my install im rebooting into software rendering mode then i have to install Virtualbox guest additions which shows up in the driver manager but dose not work so then you have to remove it because if you install from the iso on top of that one you get the black black screen of death Vs that issue being fixed right out of the install on LMDE2. I have a mid 2012 Macbook pro running LMDE2 and 2 older dell inspiron laptops running LMDE2 and not the main because of the lack of sound card support it just works out of the box on all 3 no driver hunting and cinnamon so much smoother and impressive their truly is no comparison.

Would like to see easier hardware management

Options to encrypt the home folder and hard drive during install
Frazatto

Post by Frazatto »

I really have nothing to ask for, I have had a great experience with LMDE.
That said, there are some annoying bugs that were never fixed on this version of Debian and the software versions on the manager are very outdated. But I guess this will all go away with LMDE3, right?

It would be nice to have a better driver manager, it was very difficult to understand all the packages necessary to run the graphic cards properly the first time I had to do it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”