What is LMDE missing?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

What is LMDE missing?

Postby MintBean » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:25 am

What features are missing from LMDE that the main edition has? I know PPAs aren't available but I suspect that will become a non-issue as Flatpak grows in popularity.

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What is LMDE missing?

Postby Penn » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:00 am

Support. Not just on this forum. From what I have seen of the Debian forum and other Debian resources simple questions aren't greeted with friendliness. If you have issues, be prepared to find answers on your own and if that is difficult be ready for some of those people to act like you should be a programmer with at least 10 years of Linux experience. But if you meet their high standards from what they expect from someone needing help it is good help you will receive.

Becoming outdated. Still based on the "old stable" from around 2 1/2 years ago and updating the base isn't even remotely a priority by the Mint team. It used to be LMDE got Cinnamon and other Mint updates before the main release but it has been kicked even further down the priority list since then. In most cases new shiny things aren't always so much better though and sometimes net better at all (I know of 2 programs that aren't as good with the newer versions).

Driver Manager. If your machine needs proprietary drivers be prepared for either a lot of work or accept it can't be done. However, what led me to using LMDE is the fact it is the only Distro (along with the base of true Debian) that my old Radeon works with and it works without Catalyst. In that case just the non-free drivers in the repo did the trick.

I have been using Stretch on a machine I only occasionally use and the only thing I am missing there is mintupdate. There is an acceptable alternative but it isn't quite as good. Fortunately the Mint USB tools work without issues on Stretch. Judging by how much this subforum is slowing down on activity I think a lot of former LMDE users have moved to Stretch also.

But what you get in return, whether LMDE2 or Stretch is worth it, in my opinion.

Oh good, I now get to watch Bart Curlish.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: What is LMDE missing?

Postby MintBean » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:10 am

Ha! Thanks a lot Penn for the informative response. I think I'll probably stick with the main edition for now based on what you've said although it's useful to keep in mind if I inherit any low resource machines.
Cheers

Return to “Newbie Questions”