adding debian stable main?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mikuszefski

adding debian stable main?

Post by mikuszefski »

I am playing around to see whether and how I can upgrade the kernel of the LMDE2 64 from a 3.16 to a 4.x
As simple adding PPAs is not supported ( for UKUU ) I tried adding
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
This gives me an enormous amount of packages to update and a similarly long list of packages stating
The following packages have been kept back: ...
This worries me a little bit and I am not sure if it is a good idea to go for it. On the other hand I believe that this offers---in principle---a 4.x kernel.

Opinions and advice appreciated, cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: adding debian stable main?

Post by xenopeek »

No, that's definitely not a good idea. LMDE 2 is based on Debian 8 / Jessie which is currently old-stable. Adding stable repositories won't work well. LMDE 3 is in the works and that will use Debian 9 (currently stable) as a base.

If you want a newer version of something than what is available from the repositories you can often find it in the Jessie backports repository. Please add that one to your system instead. Follow the instructions for Jessie here: https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

After adding backports to your system you can install linux-image-amd64 and linux-headers-amd64 (for 64 bit) or linux-image-686 and linux-headers-686 (for 32 bit) to your system with the apt-get command given on above linked page. That gives you kernel 4.9. There may be other packages you should install at the same time but I think you need at least these two from Jessie backports.
mikuszefski

Post by mikuszefski »

Thanks a lot.
That is exactly why I thought it is better to ask first.
I actually should have known this as I have the Jessie backports on my Bunsenlabs laptop.

So, thanks again for the help.

Merry Christmas.
mikuszefski

Post by mikuszefski »

hmmm...well,

for whatever reason the linux-base >4.3 dependency can't be found....
...so not sure to what extend I should fiddle with an otherwise perfectly nice system.

Will it be possible to upgrade from LMDE2 to LMDE3?

Cheers.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Maybe.
Since* it's possible to upgrade from Linux Mint 17.3 to 18 I think the team will make it possible to upgrade from LMDE 2 to 3 after a couple of weeks after the release of LMDE 3
* before it was not possible to do a decent upgrade.
Just my thoughts ;)

Return to “LMDE Archive”