LMDE3: Newest Version of OpenGL/Mesa?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE3: Newest Version of OpenGL/Mesa?

Post by darethehair » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Not sure how/where to ask this, but here goes...

Currently running LMDE2 on an i7 Chromebox with a Haswell HD 4400 onboard GPU, OpenGL ES 3.1, Mesa 13.0.6:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
I just downloaded a free game, and it wants OpenGL 4.3. I think that if I was running the 'regular' (Ubuntu) version of Mint, I could add PPAs and get the newest Mesa drivers, but I don't think I have that option with LMDE -- despite using Jessie 'backports', which just give me Mesa 13.0.6. I am currently downloading Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu version) just to see if I can make that work for me -- but I really want to stay with LMDE.

So...anyone know if LMDE3 will have newer/needed Mesa drivers? If not, can I safely add some Debian-based Mesa package to do what I want -- without destroying my existing installation?

Thanks!
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

cm1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE3: Newest Version of OpenGL/Mesa?

Post by cm1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Try to download, compile, and install?:

https://mesa3d.org/download.html

Let us know how it goes!

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LMDE3: Newest Version of OpenGL/Mesa?

Post by Penn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 pm

I think the OpenGL version is directly tied to your hardware. This means you would need a new graphics card.

I could be wrong.

Return to “Newbie Questions”