How much computer/linux/non-linux experience for LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How much computer/linux/non-linux experience for LMDE?

Post by kevinthefixer »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:42 pm
kevinthefixer wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:00 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:30 pm I got hit by that on Arch. The wrong update on the wrong distribution! :D
Arch warns you that you are responsible for fixing such problems, and that you must be up to it to use their software. Linux Mint main edition is better suited for beginners, LMDE is somewhere in the middle.
Well, I got tired of fixing them...;)
Yeah, me too.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

kevinthefixer wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:13 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:42 pm
kevinthefixer wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:00 pm

Arch warns you that you are responsible for fixing such problems, and that you must be up to it to use their software. Linux Mint main edition is better suited for beginners, LMDE is somewhere in the middle.
Well, I got tired of fixing them...;)
Yeah, me too.
Well, you see, I have Walking Pneumonia. Every day like clockwork at ~4:30 and 10:30 PM and again at ~2:00 AM I get the chills, fever, sometimes to the point of near delirium. Once I was taking tweezers and taking the white capsules shaped pellets out of my arm and reinserting black ones.

It must have been during one of these episodes that Arch wound up one of my "mule" HDDs, a 250G that had Mint 17.1 on it. It was NOT done the "arch way", I found a working installer that needed a small amount of massaging and installed it that way. The first few packages were installed using pacman -Su ........ and one of those was yaourt, then pamac. Next was trying to get MATE working correctly, not realizing the Arch Way was to tear you hair out for a while before discovering when you installed the nVidia driver it did so only for the base kernel.

Somehow I remember all of this through what seemed like a belladonic haze.

Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow....
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Well, TMI, but my story is similar. All this computer stuff takes the place of the addictive substances that ruled my life 20 years ago. Of course I have something to show for dinking with the computers. But in a fit of withdrawal symptoms, I'd bought a Chromebook mainly to see what all the fuss was about. What a disappointment! But in the process I found an installer to put Arch on Chromebooks, and it certainly did make the little thing much more powerful. Unfortunately it also made it a major chore to keep it running so it now gathers dust for a living. However Google has announced that CBs will soon be able to run several different Linux distros, including Debian, as well as the Android apps they will now. So there may be hope for the Chromebook. Probably not for me.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

kevinthefixer wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:25 pm Well, TMI, but my story is similar. All this computer stuff takes the place of the addictive substances that ruled my life 20 years ago. Of course I have something to show for dinking with the computers. But in a fit of withdrawal symptoms, I'd bought a Chromebook mainly to see what all the fuss was about. What a disappointment! But in the process I found an installer to put Arch on Chromebooks, and it certainly did make the little thing much more powerful. Unfortunately it also made it a major chore to keep it running so it now gathers dust for a living. However Google has announced that CBs will soon be able to run several different Linux distros, including Debian, as well as the Android apps they will now. So there may be hope for the Chromebook. Probably not for me.
Yeah, Arch is a bit um...HIGH MAINTENANCE. The only reason I like to play with it is because I can only smash my forehead with a ball-peen hammer for so long.
Debian will go a lot more nicely on the Chromebook, I'm sure (I'm trying to figure out how you got Arch on the d :shock: mn thing in the first place. You're either really good or a bit more masochistic than I. Perhaps a bit of both...)

Of course, they have "fixed" Arch so a lot of software won't run on it again. Ooops...kinda forgot that little part of GLIBC, didn't we? :twisted:

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:42 pm Debian will go a lot more nicely on the Chromebook, I'm sure (I'm trying to figure out how you got Arch on the d :shock: mn thing in the first place. You're either really good or a bit more masochistic than I. Perhaps a bit of both...)

Of course, they have "fixed" Arch so a lot of software won't run on it again. Ooops...kinda forgot that little part of GLIBC, didn't we? :twisted:
Well...Only for a fellow masochist...
https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... mebook-c11
for my model. Many others available.

Caution. They make the install easy, get you booted to a CLI, even hand you a command to start the wi-fi and get online. And then abandon you at midnight in the middle of the swamp without a flashlight. I think the alligators have made a deal with them....
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

kevinthefixer wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:59 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:42 pm Debian will go a lot more nicely on the Chromebook, I'm sure (I'm trying to figure out how you got Arch on the d :shock: mn thing in the first place. You're either really good or a bit more masochistic than I. Perhaps a bit of both...)

Well...Only for a fellow masochist...
https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... mebook-c11
for my model. Many others available.

Caution. They make the install easy, get you booted to a CLI, even hand you a command to start the wi-fi and get online. And then abandon you at midnight in the middle of the swamp without a flashlight. I think the alligators have made a deal with them....
But...that's the Arch Way, man!

Aw. I give 'em a lot of crap, but let's face it: messing with Arch is a lot of fun. But what happened in my case was that I was using Arch on my main machine, and that one update where they left something out borked the machine at the exact wrong moment. Instead of doing some work it was reinstall Arch again, so I gave up and came here.
I still like to play with it, however.

kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Well, somebody has to play with the bleeding-edge stuff, so the bugs get worked out and it can filter down to being stable. My big desktop, which is my daily workhorse, runs LMDE. I'm having a great time configuring Stretch on my 2010 Dell laptop. Arch will get replaced on the Chromebook with Stretch when Google gets that set up. My Droids all have custom ROMs (except the Samsung GT4, had better luck just modifying the stock ROM). The better half's desktop runs the Mint main edition and I try to keep my hands off it. All are stable and reliable except the Arch install on the CB, and I just don't have time to keep it up and running.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I have been playing with MX17.1 for a couple of days... just now a fresh install with btfrs file system.
I do not care for Xfce but have managed to Mate going now... it seems pretty good.

MX17 is Debian Stable (Stretch) based, seems pretty solid. The Installer is Fantastic!

Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Also using MATE on Debian Stretch
https://imgur.com/a/ilz2ti8
I agree MX17 is a good way to get there as it's easier to install and easy to add anything you need out of the box. Though Debian is not so difficult to get up and running as it was years ago.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

+ 2 about MX17!

I have it on an old Dell Studio 1537 laptop a friend dumped (due to a problem keyboard). It's made this old laptop very useable and is faster and more stable than Mint 17 on my main machine.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sdibaja wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:55 pm I have been playing with MX17.1 for a couple of days... just now a fresh install with btfrs file system.
I do not care for Xfce but have managed to Mate going now... it seems pretty good.

MX17 is Debian Stable (Stretch) based, seems pretty solid. The Installer is Fantastic!
Wow:

https://mxlinux.org/sites/default/files ... apshot.png

I do this manually.

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:49 pm
sdibaja wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:55 pm I have been playing with MX17.1 for a couple of days... just now a fresh install with btfrs file system.

Wow:

I do this manually.
I have no clue how to do it manually, Kudos.
MX Snapshot works perfectly. The awesome installer runs the same as the OEM, and it installed with no glitches. Neat tool.
(I went with btrfs file system this time)
Peter
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sdibaja wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:57 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Wow:

I do this manually.
I have no clue how to do it manually, Kudos.
MX Snapshot works perfectly. The awesome installer runs the same as the OEM, and it installed with no glitches. Neat tool.
(I went with btrfs file system this time)
It's not hard to do manually. I have a web link to an Ubuntu forum page that describes it, and it works very well. But being able to just push a button...:D

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I know we are way way off topic, but that MX snapshot tool is really cool.
after making several snapshots, then testing them for reinstall, I am a big fan... It includes their awesome installer!

If I do not stick with MX17 I will defiantly work on figuring out how to use it on Debian Stable... with their installer.
Peter

Return to “LMDE Archive”