Shutdown stops as gnome-keyring-daemon not responding [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Shutdown stops as gnome-keyring-daemon not responding [SOLVED]

Post by ron_h »

LMDE Cinnamon 64bit (installed about 1 year ago ; all updates applied)

A couple of days ago, shutdown stopped as gnome-keyring-daemon was not responding. I've been running for about a year and had not seen this before. Now happens on every shutdown. The 'shutdown anyway' option works, but that means I have to wait till the 'not responding' screen pops up. I've looked at the LM forums and it seems this feechur has been around for months, though mostly reported on LM main edition not on LMDE. I've tried some of the suggested 'fixes' but no success. In particular, gnome-keyring-daemon is NOT in my Startup Applications, so I can't remove it, and 'sudo purge-old-kernels' says there is no such command.

Solution for LMDE Cinnamon 64bit would be welcome.

Ron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Shutdown stops as gnome-keyring-daemon not responding

Post by AZgl1800 »

Open Terminal

issue this command shutdown 0

All files will be pushed to the HDD and the keyring daemon will be ignored.

Works every-time for me, and what is better, the next reboot the keyring daemon is usually gone.
I rarely see it anymore.

18.3 Cinnamon here
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

Thanks for the idea, sadly it didn't work ...

I had to sudo shutdown 0

I agree that on the next bootup, I was able to shutdown cleanly, no gnome-keyring-daemon issue.

BUT on the bootup after that, shutdown had its gnome-keyring-daemon issue again.

Ron
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

odd that you had to use Sudo,
I never have....

I am using 18.3 Cinnamon if that makes any difference?

but in any event, it does circumvent that ugly daemon.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

I've investigated a bit : it appears gnome-keyring was installed on my system as part of the latest SkypeforLinux update which I installed a couple of days ago. If I try to remove gnome-keyring, SkypeforLinux will be removed as well..

The good news is that since the latest update, I don't need to sign in to SkypeforLinux every time I boot the system. The bad news is (as I said in the first post for this thread), shutdown no longer works because of gnome-keyring-daemon not responding.

So, it seems I'm stuck with gnome-keyring. I am looking for a way to get it to -er- cooperate with shutdown on a LMDE Cinnamon 64bit system.

Ron
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

After more research in the LM forums, I've found a solution that seems to be working for me (so far at least).

Install the Session Manager applet and use that instead of the Menu 'Quit' button to shut down.

Go to System Settings-Preferences-Applets then select 'Available applets (online)' then find and select 'Session Manager' and install it. Select 'Installed applets' and select 'Session Manager' then 'add to panel'. The icon will now be on the RH side of the panel. Use it to shut down from now onward.

Ron

Return to “LMDE Archive”