How can I replace the Menu QUIT with Session Manager [ABANDONED] ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

How can I replace the Menu QUIT with Session Manager [ABANDONED] ?

Post by ron_h » Tue May 01, 2018 7:45 pm

LMDE Cinnamon 64bit

I've recently had a problem that Shutdown selected by using the Quit button on the Menu is held up by gnome-keyring-daemon not responding. Waiting for then selecting the Shut Down Anyway button means Shutdown takes a minute or more longer than it used to.

The workaround I found in the LM forums is Shutdown selected by using the Session Manager applet from the panel as it does not get the problem. So it seems to me that replacing the Quit button on the Menu by a Session Manager button would be a good idea. However, as best I can see there is no access to the QUIT button via the menu configuration function, so I can't replace it. And I have no idea whether I can invoke an applet from the Menu anyway.

Comments ?

Ron
Last edited by ron_h on Tue May 08, 2018 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZgl1500
Level 8
Level 8
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: How can I replace the Menu QUIT with Session Manager ?

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:14 pm

18.3 Cinnamon already has a Session Manager,
not sure about LMDE, but it has to also, otherwise, how would it boot up?

ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h » Tue May 01, 2018 11:56 pm

I'm sure that LMDE already has a 'session manager'. It did not however, as installed, have the applet called 'Session Manager' which when invoked offers a list of options including Shut Down, which if you select it shuts the PC down with no gnome-keyring-daemon problem.

Ron

ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h » Tue May 08, 2018 3:55 am

OK, from the lack of response, it seems this one is not worth pursuing. So, I'll abandon it.

Ron

smurphos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by smurphos » Tue May 08, 2018 5:21 am

ron_h wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:55 am
OK, from the lack of response, it seems this one is not worth pursuing. So, I'll abandon it.

Ron
You could probably do something with the alternative menu applet - CinnVIIStarkMenu - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/281.

Hide it's default quit, restart and logout options and use it's sidebar shortcut facility to put in customised commands to replicate the session manager applet shutdown commands...

ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How can I replace the Menu QUIT with Session Manager [ABANDONED] ?

Post by ron_h » Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 am

What you're suggesting is a bit above my pay grade. Thanks for the thought, anyway.

Ron

Return to “Newbie Questions”