How can I replace the Menu QUIT with Session Manager [ABANDONED] ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

How can I replace the Menu QUIT with Session Manager [ABANDONED] ?

Post by ron_h »

LMDE Cinnamon 64bit

I've recently had a problem that Shutdown selected by using the Quit button on the Menu is held up by gnome-keyring-daemon not responding. Waiting for then selecting the Shut Down Anyway button means Shutdown takes a minute or more longer than it used to.

The workaround I found in the LM forums is Shutdown selected by using the Session Manager applet from the panel as it does not get the problem. So it seems to me that replacing the Quit button on the Menu by a Session Manager button would be a good idea. However, as best I can see there is no access to the QUIT button via the menu configuration function, so I can't replace it. And I have no idea whether I can invoke an applet from the Menu anyway.

Comments ?

Ron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: How can I replace the Menu QUIT with Session Manager ?

Post by AZgl1800 »

18.3 Cinnamon already has a Session Manager,
not sure about LMDE, but it has to also, otherwise, how would it boot up?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

I'm sure that LMDE already has a 'session manager'. It did not however, as installed, have the applet called 'Session Manager' which when invoked offers a list of options including Shut Down, which if you select it shuts the PC down with no gnome-keyring-daemon problem.

Ron
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

OK, from the lack of response, it seems this one is not worth pursuing. So, I'll abandon it.

Ron
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

ron_h wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:55 am OK, from the lack of response, it seems this one is not worth pursuing. So, I'll abandon it.

Ron
You could probably do something with the alternative menu applet - CinnVIIStarkMenu - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/281.

Hide it's default quit, restart and logout options and use it's sidebar shortcut facility to put in customised commands to replicate the session manager applet shutdown commands...
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How can I replace the Menu QUIT with Session Manager [ABANDONED] ?

Post by ron_h »

What you're suggesting is a bit above my pay grade. Thanks for the thought, anyway.

Ron

Return to “LMDE Archive”