System takes 4 minutes to get to the booting stage?!?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
erg

System takes 4 minutes to get to the booting stage?!?

Post by erg »

Hi guys,
I've just installed Debian Mint on a friends computer. Standard installation replacing a broken old LMDE install, /home on a separate partition is the only tweak, just used the /home from the old install and added it in the fstab.
The weird thing is, system seems to be booting in around 30 seconds when I look at the /var/log/syslog but to get to that stage takes around 3-4 minutes.
Debian's not my usual habitat, not sure where to get started looking at the issue.
Any clues on where to start looking would be great.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kittenz

Re: System takes 4 minutes to get to the booting stage?!?

Post by Kittenz »

Hi,

I have a similar problem on my 2nd pc which is eMachines, it works fast and all when booted. But the booting takes quite a long time (around 3 minutes). However, on my main pc it boots in just around 1 minute.
The only difference between those two computers is that the eMachines does not have UEFI, but my main one uses UEFI. But I do not fully know if this influences the boot speed in a significant way.

P.S. Both of them have HDD.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Standard installation replacing a broken old LMDE install, /home on a separate partition is the only tweak, just used the /home from the old install and added it in the fstab.
Unless you erased or reformatted the /home partition, using data from a "broken install" is probably a bad idea.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
erg

Post by erg »

Well, there shouldn't be anything wrong with home partition as far as I can see, the issue with the system, as far as I remember, was that after an unsuccessful install the booting process stalled on something like "Plymouth failed to load".

Return to “LMDE Archive”