GRUB2, LMDE2, and Windows 7

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

GRUB2, LMDE2, and Windows 7

Post by webtarget » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:52 pm

I have a computer with 1 SSD and 1 HD.

The SSD has LMDE2 and the HD has Windows 7.

If I'm correct, GRUB2 was installed on the SSD b/c I took the hard drive out and Linux started without a hitch.

I put the HD in a Nexstar 3 external enclosure and then hooked it up back to my computer and in the BIOS tried to start Windows 7. The logo came up and it looked like it was starting, but, instead, it went to a screen that indicated something was wrong. It offered a diagnostic and I did so and in the end it said that the boot sector was corrupt. Note that, Windows was working fine just minutes before I made any of these changes.

I'd like to know, does GRUB2 put anything on the boot sector of Windows 7 (i.e. the HD) even if it installed Linux on the SSD?

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: GRUB2, LMDE2, and Windows 7

Post by wayne128 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:56 pm

You change Windows HD from internal to external via USB.

Win7 OS does not work on external HD.

webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Re: GRUB2, LMDE2, and Windows 7

Post by webtarget » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks, learned the hard way.

And, to anyone out there, don't try what I just did! My Windows and all the files were gone after this. I bought Easeus Data Recovery, but, it couldn't recover my files. Only a handful. I spent hours with this software as it scanned my partitions to try to recover the files.

In the end, I used Linux testdisk to recover ALL my files. It literally took about 5 minutes. Maybe 15 minutes researching this. Who knew? I assumed using a Windows tool to recover Windows files would be best. Now I've learned that there are a quite a few Linux tools to fix Windows problems.

Thank goodness Easeus gave me a refund. They wanted to try it out themselves though, which I let them and they couldn't recover the files either, then they gave me the refund. Had to waste my time twice in that respect, but, fine, you do what you have to do.

Return to “Installation & Boot”