Hangs at kernel loading (solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cardineau

Hangs at kernel loading (solved)

Post by cardineau »

I have two HDs. One has LM 17.2 64 bit. It works well. The other HD has LMDE 64 bit. It loads until a message "decompressing kernel.... loading ...please wait". It hangs at this point. If I boot using the repair mode, every thing is fine and the program works well. I have read various similar problems and tried to figure this out, but I need help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Hangs at kernel loading

Post by kevinthefixer »

Are you using GRUB? Try adding "nomodeset" to the options in "advanced" section. Or see if you can re-install GRUB from the live-CD. If you're actually still using LMDE rather than LMDE2, this would be a very good time to do a clean install rather than a system upgrade. You HAVE backed up your personal stuff, RIGHT?
cardineau

Post by cardineau »

this is a clean new install of LMDE 2. Grub has been installed at this time with LMDE2 as the first option. If I boot in repair mode everything is fine. It does stop during the repair mode boot and requires a login or a "Ctrl D" to continue. Before this install of LMDE2, I tried installing Debian 8.2 and had the same result. Being that Mint 17.2 was operating fine, I decided to try LMDE2. Both Lmde2 and Debian 8.2 are doing the same thing. How and where do I give the "nomodeset instruction?
cardineau

Post by cardineau »

Thank you ...I figured out the instruction for "nomodeset" and used grub customizer to do that. It worked! thank you again ...pronlem solved.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Hangs at kernel loading (solved)

Post by kevinthefixer »

Far out! Aren't Intel graphics a joy?

Return to “LMDE Archive”