Feedback on LMDE installation

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cedric12

Feedback on LMDE installation

Post by cedric12 »

Hi all,

I am relatively new to Linux and had decided this morning to switch from Mint 17.2 to LMDE Betsy. I knew it might be complicated, but maybe not as much...! Here's a feedback of the difficulties I had to overcome during installation
  • After wiping my hardrive and while the installer was copying files, I encountered an ERRN5 INPUT/OUTPUT error. I believe it happened when I plugged the AC chord while it was copying the files (although I was around 40% battery). The installer crashed, and all subsequent tries gave the same error. I came to believe that the USB key was corrupt. I fiddled around a bit, and for some reason after a system restart the installation went through to the end.
  • I successfully restarted and was met with the login screen, where I happily entered the credentials I had just created, thinking my troubles were over. But my credentials were systematically refused. I tried with Ctrl Alt F2, all refused as well. I booted once again onto the usb key and did a fresh install with new credentials thinking i'd been stupid enough to mistype the password. Same thing on second try... after some searching on Debian wikis, I successfully added a new user from the recovery mode and was able to login from this. I noticed that there was no other user (meaning none had been created during installation!) and that my root password was working when asked by the terminal in recovery mode. Strange.
  • Now I have a problem with software render mode being shown on cinnamon start.. I understand it has to do with intel drivers not being installed, however I have not yet found how to install them on a debian based distro
  • The boot sequence still shows me the login screen although I've checked automatic login from the users and groups page.
It would be a good thing to have some info that is not covered by the guides such as:
  • What are the minimum sizes for partitions, what formats are recommended for efi/boot, etc...
  • some basic steps to get everything working when coming from linux mint
I'll post again if I'm stuck with the remaining problems above.

thanks for the good work
Last edited by cedric12 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to LMDE section
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Feedback on LMDE installation

Post by kevinthefixer »

First, what hardware are you installing on? Easy way to check that is to post output of inxi in terminal.

Second, I recommend formatting and/or repartitioning your HDD(s) with the live-CD (you should be able to access gparted from the menu, if not, install it with software manager while still running in live-CD), and reinstalling the system from scratch. It's obvious that SOMETHING went awry, probably because of the power thing. I'd start with the cord already plugged in this time.
cedric12

Post by cedric12 »

Hi!
Here's the inxi output:

Code: Select all

CPU~Dual core Intel 5Y10 (-HT-MCP-) clocked at Min:800.117Mhz Max:1129.765Mhz 
Kernel~3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 
Up~20 min 
Mem~1102.9/3866.7MB 
HDD~128.0GB(7.0% used) 
Procs~182 
Graphics:  Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 256 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes

I just tried to update the kernel to 4.3 but reverted back because it broke wifi while not solving the software render mode....
I'm not sure a new install would solve it, just found this similar hardware which has the same problem... !
I believe it is a driver problem... I'm not sure how to proceed for a debian based distro, all the guides I find are ubuntu/mint based.

[EDIT] Turns out I cannot install the headers, i always get

Code: Select all

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.3.0-040300-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/make.log for more information.
might be why it broke wifi. Tried it with liquorix kernels and impossible to install headers as well
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Since cedric12 has created a new topic to solve his problem, I close this one in order to avoid cross responses.
Please continue reading here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=209754

Return to “LMDE Archive”