LMDE appropriate for dual-booting with Windows 7???

Archived topics about LMDE 2
blueinca99
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE appropriate for dual-booting with Windows 7???

Post by blueinca99 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:21 am

I have been told by a couple of people that LMDE version of Linux Mint is not an appropriate OS to be part of a dual-boot system. Is this true? I was considering replacing my Linux Mint Mate 'Rosa' with the new debian LMDE2 because Mint I am finding a little sluggish. LMDE I have used in the past & really liked it, but this time I would want it as part of a dual boot system with Windows 7.
Any reply appreciated.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: LMDE appropriate for dual-booting with Windows 7???

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:36 am

So far as I know LMDE 2 is excellent for what you're asking. :) I'm currently quad-booting with Betsy and I've had no troubles whatsoever.

Now to be fair, I'm not running Windows, but I can't imagine any instance in which LMDE 2 would not work in a dual-boot setup with Windows.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:34 pm

blueinca99 wrote:I have been told by a couple of people that LMDE version of Linux Mint is not an appropriate OS to be part of a dual-boot system.
Why would that be? It certainly isn't my experience. I've used LMDE on a multiple boot system for years, before I switched to SolydXK, and I've installed it on several other people's systems in a dual boot configuration with Windows.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:26 pm

I'm duel booting LMDE 2 with Windows 8.1 no problem, the only trouble I had once was when I was playing around with Windows 10, I find it easier if Windows is installed first versus the other way around. Loading Linux last Grub picked up Windows, but loading Windows last, the Windows installer would not pick up Linux.

kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Crewp wrote:I'm duel booting LMDE 2 with Windows 8.1 no problem, the only trouble I had once was when I was playing around with Windows 10, I find it easier if Windows is installed first versus the other way around. Loading Linux last Grub picked up Windows, but loading Windows last, the Windows installer would not pick up Linux.
Exactly my experience with many dual-boot systems over the years. Windows cannot even read Linux filesystems let alone boot it, and I doubt it's accidental.

I have one system dual-booting LMDE2 and Windows7 with no problems, and another booting Puppy Linux, Linux Mint 17.1, Win7, and LMDE2, also with no problems. In all cases, I have had the most success installing LMDE2 last, as it will boot all the others, and I want it to be the default (unattended boot) OS.

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:33 am

Don't see why not. Really though overall, what's right for you or xyz-nixer depends on you or them. If LM is sluggish, you haven't learned how to optimize or tweak it. Seriously doubting LMDE is much of a stretch, though again that depends on the person deploying it, imo much more so than the under-lying software or OS.

Got started with LM10, ootb, used like 270mbs ram and had much stuff running I didn't want or need to be running. So learned to tweak da hades out of the OS, end result ? Remember with LM10 ( gnome v2.) brought it down to 120mbs, was much faster and more responsive than it came ootb.

Long drawn out way of saying it depends, learn to tweak/optimize what you have, learn about gnu/nix. Especially if LM's LMDE releases switched to stable vs testing base, then definitely. It gets no more stable than Debian stable(base).

blueinca99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blueinca99 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 am

So ok,I think I have managed to do a pretty good job for me (I'm far from being an IT geek) this evening! I have managed to install windows 7, add LMDE2 Betsy with all the 'manual' partitioning that that involves, done the grub2 boot loader, I then reboot, get the choice of LMDE 2 Betsy, or Windows 7, choose Windows 7 first~ that works fine~ everything good so far, so reboot again~ this time choose Linux Betsy... asks for my user name & password (which I swear I set up to login automatically (I'm the only person that will be using the PC), I enter both (username & password) BUT won't let me proceed because APPARENTLY username/password I have entered is incorrect!
Which it isn't!!! Is this a known problem with Betsy? Not sure how to get beyond this one!

blueinca99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blueinca99 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:47 pm

Yes there is definitely something wrong with the login. I chose 'recovery mode' where eventually you are asked for the password ~ I entered the same password I did during setup and it took it. I go back to reboot get to the LMDE2 login page put in the username then the same password, once again says password/username is incorrect. This is now very frustrating!

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Perhaps you accidentally set the wrong password? That happens to everyone. :) Let's try to change your password, shall we?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_r ... t_password

Don't worry that the page is "outdated"--it works just fine.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

blueinca99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blueinca99 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Thank you for your reply Fred Barclay, but I can assure you I haven't setup with the wrong password, I think its a graphical interface error in the system. On further research (for a solution) it appears I'm not the only one; http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=211734

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:06 pm

Perhaps so--though your the first (perhaps second with the link you've provided) I've heard of. :D

Can you try to change the password with the link I provided? It'd be a shame to spend hours triaging the problem if it can be fixed in two minutes. ;)
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE 2 "Betsy" Archive”