Virtual-guest warning on startup *SOLVED*

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Virtual-guest warning on startup *SOLVED*

Post by Dr. Octagon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:52 pm

If I bootup my system, in the bootlog (startup shows logs of bootparameters instantly) i can see that "virtual-guest" shows 2 warnings (too fast to read). Even if I disable/enable INTEL-VM-capability in BIOS, these 2 warnings persist.

What is virtual-guest for and what do (these) warnings mean? Do I need "virtual-something" if I don't want maybe Windows to run (via QEMU) in a virtual machine?

btw:
Some times ago I tried to deinstall virtual-guest because of these warnings... but after that I wasn't be able to login to my system on the GUI-way anymore.

Cu
Dr. Octagon
Last edited by Dr. Octagon on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A good stumbler doesn't fall...

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Virtual-guest warning on startup

Post by LinuxJim » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:38 pm

The modules for running Linux in a Virtualbox guest environment are present in any standard Linux Mint installation. Since you are running it on real hardware, rather than in a virtual machine, you are seeing the (harmless) warning that these modules will not be loaded.

You can ignore it or, if it bothers you, disable/remove the modules.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:23 pm

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&t=210020
;)

I go with the "nuclear" approach of purging the virtualbox-guest utils described here, but don't do this if you are running Betsy inside VBox. If on the other hand you're running Betsy as a bare-metal installation, removing these packages will have no ill effect even if you are using VBox.

I believe you can also modify a config file somewhere but since I didn't need the vbox-guest packages (since my installation is not virualised) I just went ahead and removed them.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr. Octagon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Ok, thanks both of you.

Now, I purged the three "virtual"-packages as suggested in the prior thread (which I didn't find before). That purging was my first intention as I mentioned above... but last time I have purged these packages, I wasn't be able to boot in the GUI anymore. Ok, this time everything works fine... problem SOLVED!

Cu
Dr. Octagon
A good stumbler doesn't fall...

Return to “Installation & Boot”