PXE boot and unattended install via NFS

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
randall_l

PXE boot and unattended install via NFS

Post by randall_l »

Hi folks.

I've got a PXE server set up that I've been doing unattended installs for several years. First Debian, then FreeBSD and about a year ago I added Devuan.

Now that my daughter is starting to use computers, I'd like to make it as easy as possible, which is where Mint/LMDE comes in.

I tried Linux Mint 18 XFCE, but it doesn't seem to like my environment as ubiquity crashes while setting up apt (preseeded and manual, 32bit and 64bit on same and different hardware--and it's not the media as I verified checksums). LMDE 2 however, installs fine manually from my server and I'd like provision around 20 notebooks (around 9 different models, both 32bit and 64bit)--which is why I'd really like to automate the process.

I can't seem to find any existing posts here or via Google. If you could steer me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Has anyone done it? Would you mind sharing your config?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Randall
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: PXE boot and unattended install via NFS

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
randall_l

Post by randall_l »

Thanks for taking the time to respond deepakdeshp.

I had a look at the link and that's essentially how the process starts, yes. However, I believe you may have missed the key word "unattended".

With my current setup, the process goes something like this:
-plug in a network cable;
-turn the notebook on;
- a) walk away (if I want FreeBSD installed), or
- b) select the OS and press enter, then walk away;
-wait 20-35 minutes while the OS and extra packages are installed and configured;
-come back;
-unplug the network cable;

I'm looking to do the same thing with LMDE 2.

Cheers!
Randall
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Well... I never tried this kind of install and I don't know the details, but as I understand it, it requires some support from the installer. I'm afraid there's no such support in LMDE's installer.

Return to “LMDE Archive”