Windows 10 and MultiBoot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
os2x

Windows 10 and MultiBoot

Post by os2x »

I've been investigating Windows 10 (yuck) and LMDE along with Windows 7 "Hibernation" problems. What I ran into was if Windows 10 is on another HDD or SSD and Windows 7
is in the multi-boot menu of Grub2, Windows 10 will activate the Hibernation feature on Windows 7 which messes up access to the Windows 7 file structure. There is a simple way to
disable the feature when shutting down Windows 10 by holding the "Shift" key down while in shutdown mode in Windows 10. A fast desktop machine does not need the this feature
like a notebook and the old Beta release gave the users a way to disable the feature from the "Control Menu" in Windows. The older way of doing this no longer works for me with
the system. Neither function works with Administrative access such as: "powercfg.exe /hibernate off" or "powercfg –h off" You will get a error which I tracked down to accessing
the file which resides in the "/Windows/System32/" directory as "powercfg.exe". There are only a very few applications that I am using that Windows 7 can uses and ONLY one that
is addressed from Windows 10 otherwise I would be using just Windows 7 which does not give problems. I would say that Windows 10 has not been improved much from the following
Windows 7 program. If it wasn't for the applications that I have to have for Windows, I would be using LMDE and forgetting about Windows "bloatware" altogether! It seems there is a
startup feature in Ubuntu that can disable the feature? Does anyone have an idea concerning this in LMDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
EmaRsk

Re: Windows 10 and MultiBoot

Post by EmaRsk »

Since you hate Windows so much, did you try using Wine instead? Or maybe you could use Windows in separated virtual machines, instead of triple-booting.

I don't understand what you mean with "Windows 10 will activate the Hibernation feature on Windows 7", but maybe you could migrate to Windows 10 and get rid of Windows 7, solving the conflict?

In Windows 10 I get no error with powercfg.exe. You probably have other issues you'll need to fix.

You can try to flip the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\HibernateEnabled

How can startup feature in Ubuntu disable a Windows 10 feature?
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Windows 10 and MultiBoot

Post by z31fanatic »

EmaRsk wrote: I don't understand what you mean with "Windows 10 will activate the Hibernation feature on Windows 7", but maybe you could migrate to Windows 10 and get rid of Windows 7, solving the conflict?
Yeah, I have never seen that before.
Try this though. By default, W10 has the fast startup option turned to ON which means it never fully shuts down.
To disable it
Open the Control Panel
Click Power Options
Click Choose what the power buttons do
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable
Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup
Click Save changes

Return to “LMDE Archive”