I have a few questions about my install.. (I'm new)

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few questions about my install.. (I'm new)

Postby h4Lcy0n » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:48 am

Firstly Hi! I'm new to this forum and have just completed installing LMDE2 off a USB stick to a Netbook that has out lived two PC's and one modern multimedia laptop. (Actually, my Netbook is all i have left). I've come from Debian Wheezy/Jessie 32bit background. Thought i would give LMDE2 a try and so far very pleased with how well it runs on my Netbook, not to mention how nice the GUI is. I'll post the spec's to it below.

Installation went perfect as far as i can tell. (MATE Desktop Environment 1.16.1) 32bit.
*Note; to get around the install windows being too long for a 1024x600 Netbook screen to press the 'forward' button, i just had the Monitor Preferences window open and changed the Rotation to Left.. was kind of fun trying to beat the 30 second timeout and i did win in the end. :lol:

First thing i did was run the Update Manager, that went ok, although during the updates, it did mention one broken app.

The Update Manager is set to level 3 - all updates are installed.
There are currently two security updates at level 5 - these are not installed - grub2 and kernel 3.16.39-1
After update i decided to reboot and saw two warnings on the shutdown screen:

'Virtualbox additions disabled, not in a virtualbox machine?'
'Startpar: Service(s) returned failure: plymouth failed. FAIL'

After rebooting i went to Package Manager, searched Virtualbox and removed the three virtualbox installs, rebooted and noticed that the virtualbox reference has gone in the shutdown screen, so that was great. Don't think it was affecting the system but you never know if you don't know what a virtualbox is in the first place.

1. Had a look at plymouth in the Package Manager and it's dependencies look messy and it looks a bit harder then virtualbox, so need help with that one.

2. Probably my main cause for concern though is that some of the Administration / Tools fail to start after entering password. This started happening shortly after install and update manager. I remember having a quick look around after install at the menu's and was opening Services, Shared Folders, Users an Groups, Network and they were working fine. Now i click on those mentioned and Authentication box opens, put my password in and nothing happens. Some work though, Login Window asks for Admin Password and i have the option to save the password for this session and Login Window works, Software Manager works, Software sources works, Synaptic works, Time and Date does not work as it asks for the Authenticate password, not the Admin password.

So in summary, if i have to Authenticate an app to start, after putting in the password, it doesnt start the app.
If it's a app that asks for the Administrator password, all those apps work. Weird. Obviously Authenticate and Administrate are two different things?

So my next logical step was to log into root and sure enough it's doing exactly the same thing.
All other apps in the system seem to work fine, it's only the 'Authenticate' ones that don't start.
Any idea's help would be much appreciated.

Oh, before i forget.. should i update to grub2 and the new kernel, yet?
=========================================================================================

~ $ inxi -Fz
System: Host: debian Kernel: 3.16.0-4-586 i686 (32 bit)
Desktop: MATE 1.16.1 Distro: LinuxMint 2 betsy
Machine: Mobo: Intel model: CAPELL VALLEY(NAPA) CRB
Bios: Phoenix v: NAPA0001.86C.0056.D.0904031019 date: 04/03/09
CPU: Single core Intel Atom N270 (-UP-) cache: 512 KB
clocked at 1600 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1024x600@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio: Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.16.0-4-586
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Card-2: Ralink RT5370 Wireless Adapter driver: rt2800usb
IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 640.1GB (1.7% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST640LM001_HN size: 640.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 29G used: 5.6G (21%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: /home size: 481G used: 652M (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 26.8C mobo: 26.8C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 127 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 330.7/2014.4MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28
Eating fish and squid, swimming, nodding off to sleep, frolicking in the sun, countershading from Orca's, building a rocket and Mars landing capsule.

kc1di
Level 10
Level 10

Re: I have a few questions about my install.. (I'm new)

Postby kc1di » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:22 am

Hello h4Lcy0n and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
Good to have you here.
Sorry I personally can't be of much help to you about your question, but I don't have any LMDE2 installs here at the moment.
but hope you enjoy the Distro and will stick around.

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Postby h4Lcy0n » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:33 am

Hi kc1di,
Thanks for the welcome party. To be honest, i don't have much choice but to stick around and get things fixed. Maybe it will help someone else by proxy. Years ago i would have ignored the faults and hoped they would magically go away. I used to dread setting up partitions and doing linux installs, but then i used to say the same thing about windows years before that and today it's more fun then fear. Looking at this first install, It all went as good as it could have. So what I'm saying is, even if i reinstalled it again, i wouldn't do anything different and would expect the same outcome. Therefore, the simplest answer is to fix the issues at hand. Thanks.
Last edited by h4Lcy0n on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eating fish and squid, swimming, nodding off to sleep, frolicking in the sun, countershading from Orca's, building a rocket and Mars landing capsule.

phd21
Level 14
Level 14

Postby phd21 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:10 am

Hi "h4Lcy0n",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Postby h4Lcy0n » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi phd21,
Thanks for the welcome, balloons, glitter and dancing girls. How's the weather in Florida? I've often wondered what O/S they would risk sending people to Mars with and came to the conclusion it would be one that doesn't have a blue screen of death.

Andy-A
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Andy-A » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:39 pm

I wouldn't worry about the 'Virtualbox additions disabled, not in a virtualbox machine?' message. There was a long discussion about whether it was an error message or just info. They're harmless, but if you've removed them it's OK.

Regarding the Administration / Tools fail to start - this looks like the problem with the out of date version of mate-system-tools.
Go into Synaptic Package Manager, and remove mate-system-tools and install gnome-system-tools.

Authenticate just means give your permission to change something mission-critical, administration is just the place to change all system settings, most of which are not.

I get the occasional warning/error from plymouth but it has never caused any problems.

Update to grub2 and the new kernel? - it's up to you, I don't think they will cause any problems, but if you've no reason to update, leave them.
LMDE2-64, MATE 1.18, on a 10 year old PC

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred Barclay » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:16 pm

h4Lcy0n wrote:I've often wondered what O/S they would risk sending people to Mars with and came to the conclusion it would be one that doesn't have a blue screen of death.

Let's hope not! :lol:
The ISS at any rate uses Debian so I suspect Linux will make it to Mars... and the sooner the better. :)

Re your questions,
I personally would update both the kernel and Grub. Since LMDE was released in 2015 there have been several security updates for the kernel and at least one for Grub. There is a small risk of something going south after the update, but for me the benefit outweighs the risk.

If you don't have a backup, though, and the machine has important data I wouldn't update until after making a backup. ;)

Welcome to the forums, by the way! I'm sorta going the opposite direction as you - I started with Mint, moved to LMDE soon after, and am currently on Debian Jessie.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NoWinBob » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Welcome.Now I wish I had't given away my little netbook cause I thought it was useless(on Windows)You will find Mint to be very friendly on minimal hardware.Good luck.

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Postby h4Lcy0n » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Andy-A,
Thanks for your help! I'll give it a go in a bit after a couple of coffee's and let you know how i got on. I think if that part goes well, I probably will install grub2 and the new kernel after, mainly because I'd rather risk that now while i have a fresh install and haven't gone to the trouble of personalizing the system yet, meaning, if it breaks i can reinstall again no trouble without much loss of time and effort put in.

Hi Fred,
Just saw your post as i was about to post reply back to Andy.
The ISS uses Debian? wow that is so cool. Imagine, they will probably need a Debian engineer to go to Mars, like they would need a doctor, horticulturalist, pilot, psychologist, etc, or would they rely on Debian AI?

I agree the system is bare and there will be no loss of anything if things go wrong. If i leave it and do it later on, eventually by that stage the system will be personalized and have alot more work and time put into it. Oh yes you have gone the opposite route to me, interesting.. One thing i do notice is i was getting better FPS on Jessie, for videos, youtube etc. Mindue, i was running Openbox on Jessie and probably had a different driver to Mesa. Mesa is something i need to look at later. My shared graphics should run faster then it is. Thanks for the Welcome too!

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Postby h4Lcy0n » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi NoWinBob,
Thanks for the Welcome and normally i would be using my Sony laptop, but the GPU died on the mobo and ended up in my spare parts box, so really i had no choice but to fallback on my trusty, rusty Notebook. MATE works pretty well on it. I mean it's good enough for websurfing, email, all that kind of thing. Youtube videos, movies run noticeably slow, so i'll have to look into that next job and see if i can get some more juice out of that side of it.

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Postby h4Lcy0n » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Andy-A,
That worked perfectly, thank you.
Question: Do i also need to uninstall mate-system-tools-common? Will they clash with gnome-system-tools if left installed.

After i replaced mate-system-tools with gnome-system-tools, i could access Administration / Tools, went to Services and unselected plymouth. The screen went black with the LM logo and had to hardboot, but the good news is, the plymouth FAIL warning doesn't show in the shutdown screen anymore and neither does Virtualbox, which is also listed in Services and can be unselected as well. All Admin / Tools are back online working, very nice.

Now for grub2 and kernel upgrade.
If I'm not back in an hour, you'll know I'm doing a new install :lol:

Edit: Installed new kernel, installed grub2 to sda (not sda1), reboot, no errors or warnings on shutdown screen, running latest kernel and grub2, all systems go for Mars, lift-off.

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred Barclay » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:56 am

h4Lcy0n wrote:Imagine, they will probably need a Debian engineer to go to Mars, like they would need a doctor, horticulturalist, pilot, psychologist, etc, or would they rely on Debian AI?

Well, if they really need a Debian engineer, I volunteer! :)
Matter of fact, I don't care why they'd send me as long as they did..

As far as mate-system-tools goes, I'd remove it. It doesn't really work anymore, and IIRC it creates some annoying duplicates in your menu.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Postby h4Lcy0n » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:45 am

Fred Barclay wrote:Well, if they really need a Debian engineer, I volunteer! :)
Matter of fact, I don't care why they'd send me as long as they did..

Haha! yeah same.
Ok, i will remove that package, thanks for the tip.

I've been using MATE a few days now and love it and I've realized that my old Netbook is not fast enough for HD movies and classic FPS/Retro games, even YouTube videos struggle... so I'm looking for an upgrade. Looked at Dell's Netbooks and they are expensive for what you pay for. Sure i'd love a XPS 13 but I don't want to spend (or have) that much money. I want to stick with a Netbook size, 11', but with 2017 hardware, not 2009 hardware like this one LOL.

So while i was googling around, i happened to come across the maker of my current Netbook on ebay and found that they do actually have an updated 2017 version of my old Netbook for under $400, (which means i could buy two). Now, considering this Notebook has lasted 8 years and absolutely could probably last another 8 years, I'm inclined to think of that saying.. 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. In other words, I've lost 2 PC's and 1 Sony laptop and this Netbook is still going strong, just lacks the modern hardware, so why change brand.

Compare my current Netbook spec's at the top of this page to the new 2017 Netbook spec's and tell me this wouldn't be the ideal 2-in-1 Notebook for MATE? It's the same brand from Hong Kong and under $400.
It might just be enough to run the things I can't currently run on this 2009 model.

============================================================================
Audio
Speakers
Built-in 8Ω/0.8W speaker x 2

Camera
Front
2.0MP
Rear
2.0MP

Connectivity
Bluetooth

USB
1 x Micro USB2.0
USB Ports
1 x USB3.0

Wi-Fi
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 (802.11/b/g/n/ac)

Dimensions (2-in-1)
257.9 x 173 x 10.5mm
Weight
600g (Tablet)
300g (Keyboard)

Display
Resolution
Full HD 1920 x 1200

Size
10.1"
Type
IPS

Inputs
HDMI
1 x Mini HDMI Type C 1.4a

Laptop
CPU
Intel Atom
GPU
Integrated
RAM
4GB
Resolution
1920x1200
Screen Size
10.1"
Storage Capacity
64GB
Storage Type
eMMC

Outputs
Headphone
1 x 3.5mm

Performance
Battery
5800mAh Lithium-ion polymer battery

CPU
Intel® Atom™ x5-Z8300 Processor
CPU Speed
1.44 GHz (up to 1.84 GHz Turbo Boost)
GPU
Gen8-LP 10/12EU up to 600MHz
OS
Windows
OS Version
10 Home
RAM
4GB

Storage
Card Slots
1 x Micro SD
Internal Storage
64GB
=================================================================================

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred Barclay » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:10 pm

That looks like a pretty decent machine, though (personally) I suspect $400 is too much. :?

My laptop has similar problems to yours -- even LMDE MATE is a bit much for it. I could have gone through and stripped out everything that I didn't need, but that would have taken a lot of time and I might have broken something.
I tried Arch with MATE and Xfce which was lighter and ran a bit better but I just really prefer the Debian ecosystem. So currently, I've installed Debian Stable with Xfce and then added the LMDE repo so I can get Thunderbird and some mint goodies like mintstick.

The computer isn't perfect but it runs so much better now. :)
- Albert Einstein

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Postby h4Lcy0n » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:06 am

Fred Barclay wrote:That looks like a pretty decent machine, though (personally) I suspect $400 is too much. :?

My laptop has similar problems to yours -- even LMDE MATE is a bit much for it. I could have gone through and stripped out everything that I didn't need, but that would have taken a lot of time and I might have broken something.
I tried Arch with MATE and Xfce which was lighter and ran a bit better but I just really prefer the Debian ecosystem. So currently, I've installed Debian Stable with Xfce and then added the LMDE repo so I can get Thunderbird and some mint goodies like mintstick.

The computer isn't perfect but it runs so much better now. :)

You're absolutely right.
I ended up buying a new Lenovo Quad Core AMD A6 - 8GB DDR4 - 240GB SSD - 15" - Radeon R4 600mhz - 64bit with a 1 year warranty. I'm sure it will run MATE better then my Netbook. The Radeon R4 is an embedded level entry GPU, so should get 30fps on WoW at 1024x768 low settings, same as Counter Strike. Low settings are better anyhow for gaming, speed over bling. I used to get the best fps on games with Openbox!

Edit: Got the new laptop working with MATE and it's awesome!
It's actually a Model 80TJ, by Lenovo.

Return to “Installation & Boot”