Error Installing from loaded iso

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fedor

Error Installing from loaded iso

Post by Fedor »

i have put lmde iso on usb drive and boot from it. I also have mounted ldme iso from usb drive and can see its content.
All was going good, but after i filled form with names passwords etc i got "ERROR something is wrong with the installation medium!..." and about burn cd with proper tools.. yumi...

I never used that yumi thing, and have no cds to spare, no another usb disk either.

Help me please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Error Installing from loaded iso

Post by killer de bug »

Have you checked that the ISO you downloaded was not corrupted? Did you check the sum to see if it is matching with the one on Linux Mint download page?
Which tool have you used to write the iso on the USB stick?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Definitely agree with kdb - it would be a good idea to check that iso image. :)
Here are some links to help:
https://linuxmint.com/verify.php
https://fred-barclay.github.io/VerifyLinuxMint/
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fedor

Post by Fedor »

I have checked sha256, accuracy is full. Also i tried older lmde-2-201503-mate-64bit.iso and have got exactly the same error.

My USB drive had been contained GRUB2 for a long time, i have copied iso plain without tools and have added entires into grub.cfg to load it. I suppose that install program do not recognize mounted iso as a source path. Is there a way to give source path for installation program, because i did not find that option.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Oh ok I see.
Why don't you simply create a real bootable USB stick? With unetbootin or the Linux Mint utility to create such sticks?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Fedor wrote:My USB drive had been contained GRUB2 for a long time, i have copied iso plain without tools and have added entires into grub.cfg to load it.
Please post your grub.cfg menuentry.
Fedor wrote:I suppose that install program do not recognize mounted iso as a source path. Is there a way to give source path for installation program, because i did not find that option.
The installation program will have no problem with the mounted iso, as long as you are not trying to install to the USB.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Fedor

Post by Fedor »

killer de bug wrote:Oh ok I see.
simply create a real bootable USB stick
At first i have no spare usb sticks, my drive filled with plenty needed files where no place to move, and for second if i shall want cinamon or another edition i will have to create USB stick every time, that's rather very inconvenient.

austin.texas
Here my grub.cfg entries

Code: Select all

menuentry "LMDE MATE x64" {
	set isofile='/lmde-mate-x64.iso'
	loopback loop (hd0,msdos1)$isofile
	linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live live-config fromiso=/dev/disk/by-label/BIGFLEX/$isofile toram=filesystem.squashfs nosplash --
	initrd (loop)/live/initrd.lz
	}
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Fedor wrote:austin.texas
Here my grub.cfg entries

menuentry "LMDE MATE x64" {
	loopback loop (hd0,msdos1)$isofile
	linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live live-config fromiso=/dev/disk/by-label/BIGFLEX/$isofile toram=filesystem.squashfs nosplash --
	initrd (loop)/live/initrd.lz
	}
Thank you. I will check that.
Also, please post the result of

lsblk -f
so that I can check the Label "BIGFLEX"
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Try this menuentry.

menuentry "LMDE MATE x64  .iso " {
   set root=(hd0,msdos1)
   loopback loop ($root)$isofile
   linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz fromiso=($root)$isofile boot=live  live-config live-media-path=/casper findiso=$isofile edd=on ocs_live_run=\"ocs-live-general\" ocs_live_extra_param=\"\"  ocs_live_batch=\"no\" ocs_lang=\"\" ip=frommedia relatime  nolocales nosplash toram=filesystem.squashfs
   initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
  }
Linux Linx 2018
Fedor

Post by Fedor »

here the lsblk -f

sda                         
├─sda1                      
├─sda2                      
└─sda5                      
sdb                         
├─sdb1                      /media/mint/BIGFLEX
└─sdb2                      
loop0                       /lib/live/mount/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs
loop1                       
└─loop1p1                   
loop2                       /media/mint/LMDE 2 MATE 64-bit
I wonder why grub.cfg would affect an installation, but i have tried your cfg for the record, which is wrong, because there is no "casper", i have changed it to "live", and i think fromiso=($root)$isofile incorrect too, however it works anyway. Nevertheless it's nothing to do with error of an installation, it stays indeed.
I am sure this is problem of an installation program, which is not accepts mounted iso as a source path. How is possible to override its sequence and give it a certain source path?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Some of the ideas in this thread might help.
Linux Linx 2018
Fedor

Post by Fedor »

Some of the ideas in this thread might help.
This has no use for my problem. Why do you keep consider that it is problem of the grub or boot? I have nothing errors regarding either boot or grub Here see a screenshot.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Fedor wrote: Why do you keep consider that it is problem of the grub or boot?
Because you asked about that.
Fedor wrote: i have copied iso plain without tools and have added entires into grub.cfg to load it. I suppose that install program do not recognize mounted iso as a source path.
Linux Linx 2018
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Just a question, you referred to "mounted iso" or "I have mounted iso" twice in your posts.

If you are booting from the iso on a USB stick you should not have to manually mount it. Are you re-mounting an already mounted volume here?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Fedor wrote: This has no use for my problem. Why do you keep consider that it is problem of the grub or boot? I have nothing errors regarding either boot or grub Here see a screenshot.
I will repeat myself but if you could build a real bootable usb stick, it would work. You got the problem with several iso from Mint, and therefore this is not an iso problem. It's a setup issue.
Fedor

Post by Fedor »

Well, let me illustrate my actions further
what's wrong here?
And how to do it right?

And about twice mounted iso, yes it definitely do, first it mounted by grub to boot live system, and second i mount it myself, because live system doesn't see it. Also i did not mention that this is iso problem. It is about installation program, where is no option to set path or its hidden.
Last edited by Fedor on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

The install linux mint icon on the desktop shows that you are in a live environment. Therefore you are booting on the iso. And then you try again to load the iso.
I don't understand why.

Click on the intall linux mint icon and install it.
Fedor

Post by Fedor »

killer de bug wrote:And then you try again to load the iso.
I don't understand why.
I do not load it, and of course it is not loaded at all, to be correct. Live system is loaded only from the iso, then i only mount iso, is it not like a virtual cd? If i won't mount iso where to find the path for install source?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Fedor wrote:If i won't mount iso where to find the path for install source?
Look at your last screenshot. The icon for the installation program is on the Desktop. "Install Linux Mint"
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected the quote issue
Linux Linx 2018
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Fedor wrote: do not load it, and of course it is not loaded at all, to be correct. Live system is loaded only from the iso, then i only mount iso, is it not like a virtual cd? If i won't mount iso where to find the path for install source?
It's loaded. Otherwise you would not be running the live environment. You have the install Linux Mint icon on the desktop. So it's running. You should just click on it. No need to load anything else.

Return to “LMDE Archive”