Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ulli_m16
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Mint LMDE got stuck right after installation while conducting updates

Postby ulli_m16 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:36 am

Hi all,

I am totally new with Mint. I have been using elementary OS and Ubuntu for a couple of years.
I just installed Linux Mind LMDE2 "Betsy" on a HP5103 netbook (dual-core Atom-CPU, 2 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD). Prior to that I had elementary OS "Freya" installed on this netbook, which is a nice implementation, but has some serious technical issues.

So I downloaded the ISO (lmde-2-201503-cinnamon-64bit.iso) using the torrent; produced a bootable USB-stick using UNetbootin and conducted a quick test with a live session. Everything worked very well. I then made a complete fresh install after increasing the SWAP area from 2 GB to 5 GB and formatting both the main partition and the SWAP area. Again everything worked very well after installation. Then the notification that a new update manager would be available was shown. And right after that was Installed got the message that more updates would be waiting for installation. I am very familiar with that, but was surprised about the tremendous number of updates given the fact that the ISO was downloaded just yesterday. Must have been hundreds of updates. So I started those and after an hour or so left the netbook alone. When I came back after about half an hour the screen showed the background pic along with time & date. No indicator that the system is still working at all. I can hear that the HDD is working. No exit is shown on the screen. Neither ESC nor briefly pushing the power button does anything.

What shall I do? Take the battery out? Any help is highly appreciated.
Ulrich
Last edited by ulli_m16 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... anybody around there who also owns a fully operational "Northstar Advantage" running with CP/M 2.2?

ulli_m16
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Mint LMDE got stuck right after installation while conducting updates

Postby ulli_m16 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:25 am

Oh dear!

I just saw in the headline of another thread "CTRL+ALT+Backspace ...". Checked that and, guess what, the login screen showed up. Obviously all updates went well.
I knew that mimik from old Windows-installations, but not from any Linux-installation where I am used that the login screen shows up as soon as the mouse is moved or ENTER is hit.
Sorry for the post.

Ulrich
... anybody around there who also owns a fully operational "Northstar Advantage" running with CP/M 2.2?

Return to “Installation & Boot”