[Solved] Mint LMDE got stuck right after installation while conducting updates

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ulli_m16
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ulli_m16 »

Hi all,

I am totally new with Mint. I have been using elementary OS and Ubuntu for a couple of years.
I just installed Linux Mind LMDE2 "Betsy" on a HP5103 netbook (dual-core Atom-CPU, 2 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD). Prior to that I had elementary OS "Freya" installed on this netbook, which is a nice implementation, but has some serious technical issues.

So I downloaded the ISO (lmde-2-201503-cinnamon-64bit.iso) using the torrent; produced a bootable USB-stick using UNetbootin and conducted a quick test with a live session. Everything worked very well. I then made a complete fresh install after increasing the SWAP area from 2 GB to 5 GB and formatting both the main partition and the SWAP area. Again everything worked very well after installation. Then the notification that a new update manager would be available was shown. And right after that was Installed got the message that more updates would be waiting for installation. I am very familiar with that, but was surprised about the tremendous number of updates given the fact that the ISO was downloaded just yesterday. Must have been hundreds of updates. So I started those and after an hour or so left the netbook alone. When I came back after about half an hour the screen showed the background pic along with time & date. No indicator that the system is still working at all. I can hear that the HDD is working. No exit is shown on the screen. Neither ESC nor briefly pushing the power button does anything.

What shall I do? Take the battery out? Any help is highly appreciated.
Ulrich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.2 (64 Bit) - Apple MacAir
Linux Mint 21.2 (64 Bit) - Desktop
Ubuntu Mate 18.04.5 (32 Bit) - HP 5103 netbook
CP/M 2.2 (8 Bit) - Northstar Advantage
ulli_m16
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ulli_m16 »

Oh dear!

I just saw in the headline of another thread "CTRL+ALT+Backspace ...". Checked that and, guess what, the login screen showed up. Obviously all updates went well.
I knew that mimik from old Windows-installations, but not from any Linux-installation where I am used that the login screen shows up as soon as the mouse is moved or ENTER is hit.
Sorry for the post.

Ulrich
Linux Mint 20.2 (64 Bit) - Apple MacAir
Linux Mint 21.2 (64 Bit) - Desktop
Ubuntu Mate 18.04.5 (32 Bit) - HP 5103 netbook
CP/M 2.2 (8 Bit) - Northstar Advantage

Return to “LMDE Archive”