Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Correct BIOS settings before install?

Postby h4Lcy0n » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:01 am

Hi, I got my brand new Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ACL sitting infront of my Notebook. It came with Win10 64bit preinstalled and of course i want to wipe that completely and just put MATE on it instead. I have booted into the LIVE USB screen and it runs very nice in LIVE mode.

This is the second time i've installed MATE from LIVE USB, so i know what I'm doing setting up partitions /root, swap and /home. This BIOS is new and different and obviously i want to take advantage of some of the new options IF THEY ARE NOT GOING TO RISK breaking the thing. Could someone help me please choose the right BIOS settings so i can go ahead and install it? Thanks in advance and also if there is anything i should know about before partitioning and installing?

Code: Select all

INFORMATION SCREEN
Phoenix SecureCore Technology Setup.
CPU AMD A6-7310 APU with AMD Radeon
System Mem 8192 MB
Hard Disk SATA SSD 240GB
ATAPI DVD
Preinstalled OS licence XXXXXXXXXX WIN
OA3 Key ID XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
OA2 - N
Secure Boot - Disabled

CONFIGURATION SCREEN
Time, Date etc
USB Legacy - Enabled
Wireless LAN - Enabled
SATA Controller Mode - AHCI ???
Power Beep
AMD SVM Technology - Disabled  ???
BIOS Flashback - Enabled
HotKey Mode - Enabled

SECURITY SCREEN
Administrator Password Set (I set my own)
User Pass Cleared
HDD Password Cleared
Power On Password - Disabled
Set User Password
Set HDD Passwords
AMD Platform Security Processor - Disabled ???

BOOT
Boot Mode Legacy Support or UEFI ??? (currently set to Legacy)
Boot Priority Legacy First or UEFI first ??? (currently set to Legacy)
USB boot Enabled
PXE boot to LAN Disabled

Boot priority
1. USB HDD: USB 2.0 SD/MMC Reader
2. ATA HDD: SATA SSD
3. ATAPI CD: PLDS DVD-RW
4. PCI LAN
5. USB FDD
6. USB CD
7. Windows Boot Manager

EXIT SCREEN
Exit
Exit
Discard, Save etc
Load Default Settings
OS Optimized Defaults - Disabled ???
===================================

??? = I need help with these options.

Also, is there anything i need to know about partitioning the SSD to install to?
Like for example, AHCI.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm using the 'Disks' app on the LIVE MATE session to examine the SSD and it looks like this; can i just wipe them all and start again?

Code: Select all

Part 1 - 134MB - /dev/sda1 - Microsoft Reserved
Part 2 - 273MB - /dev/sda2 - EFI System
Part 3 - 214GB - /dev/sda3 - Windows Basic Data
Part 4 - 6GB - /dev/sda4 -  Lenovo Basic Data
Part 5 - 1GB - /dev/sda5 - WINRE_DRV (win recovery environment)
Part 6 - 18GB - /dev/sda6 - Lenovo Part (win recovery " ")
Part 7 - 553MB - /dev/sda7 - LRS_ESP - FAT 32 Not Mounted.
Last edited by killer de bug on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: code tags added
Eating fish and squid, swimming, nodding off to sleep, frolicking in the sun, countershading from Orca's, building a rocket and Mars landing capsule.

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Correct BIOS settings before install?

Postby h4Lcy0n » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:21 am

OK, i disabled all those new settings in BIOS and installed off the LIVE USB, setup partitions /, /swap and /home.
On reboot, i am stuck on a boot menu with three options. If i press the first option nothing happens and it goes back to the same boot menu options screen.

1. ATA HDD: SATA SSD
2. ATAPI CD: PLDS
3. Windows Boot Manager.

None of them boot into MATE, what have I done wrong? HELP!

Update: I'm reinstalling again off LIVE USB with this page;
(This time i'm including a boot partition)
http://linuxbsdos.com/2010/09/18/disk-p ... nt-debian/

Update: OK, that made no difference. Still loops the 1, 2 ,3 boot menu. Not sure what I'm missing but i really need help :shock:
Eating fish and squid, swimming, nodding off to sleep, frolicking in the sun, countershading from Orca's, building a rocket and Mars landing capsule.

h4Lcy0n
Level 1
Level 1

Postby h4Lcy0n » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:36 am

OK, I got it working with Win10 recovery partitions all deleted. (total format of SDD and Win recovery). Amazed myself really and jumped for joy.
The trick was, i realized that no matter how many times i installed MATE, the embedded Win10 system/BIOS wouldn't let Grub boot after installing from the LIVE USB.
So i gave it one last shot, started a new LIVE session, went to Accessories and then 'Disks', started GParted, had a look at the first '/' partition, right clicked it, went to Filesystem and saw an option to enable '[x] bootable'. Set that first partition to bootable, shutdown, pulled out LIVE USB, started up and Grub comes up finally instead of the stupid looped menu. Log into MATE with my username and password and I'm opening champagne bottles.

I have to tell you, this $600 Lenovo Model 80TJ is quick booting and surfing the web with a 240 SSD. Did the whole Grub2 install and new kernel, fully update and working, I'm posting this from it. Now it's all setup I'm going to test it's multimedia capabilities, HD movies, FPS games and see how it performs with the quad core and R4. Got 12GB swap, which is 1.5 x 8GB physical ram. CPU is sitting on 5%. It's very very fast so far. Boots in about 8 seconds to desktop. To be honest, i don't want to go through that again.. what's the best way to take an image backup of the whole system and BIOS incase of failure later on? :mrgreen:

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 am

Great job!
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:42 am

h4Lcy0n wrote:.. what's the best way to take an image backup of the whole system and BIOS incase of failure later on? :mrgreen:

Many people use Clonezilla, but I can't tell you much about it because I don't use it. Sorry.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Habitual » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:10 pm

gparted is good kung.fu

Return to “Installation & Boot”