Unable to install LMDE2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Unable to install LMDE2

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

Hi, I am trying to install LMDE2 on a 1 terabyte disk which has been initially partitioned with an NTFS. So all I wanted the installer to do was to replace this. In order to try to do this I manually (using the Gparted option) deleted the partition leaving a blank disk. But the installer now is asking for a root partition. What I want it to do is just use all the blank space automatically. I have tried rebooting with the install CD and terabte disk in - but things get worse - it now takes me to a login screen (with pretty pictures) and is asking me for a username and password - but nothing has yet been installed so I have no username or password. I seem unable to reboot back to the LMDE2 desktop with the install ikon. Could someone explain what has to be on the disk to begin with with so that I can proceed with this installation - and how do I get from where I am to installing LMDE2 with it craeting all required partitions. Do I really have to take out the hard drive - put it into a Windows box and reformat?

Update: I have now managed to find the default password - but it is still asking for a root partition, although the whole disk is now labelled /dev/sda1 as one huge partition. The spalsh screen is saying: " aroot partition is needed to install Linux Mint on" . But there is nowhere to add a partition called "/" under new partition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Unable to install LMDE2

Post by all41 »

Boot back up with your install iso (dvd or usb stick). Make sure your bios is set to boot to this.
When you get to a desktop bring up Gparted.
Right click on the unallocated disk space and choose format (suggest ext4 file system). Click on the rightmost arrow near the top to apply that operation. Once this is completed all you have to do is double click the 'Install Mint' icon on the desktop.
Answer the trivial questions.
If you are getting a login screen with landscapes and a password prompt Mint is already installed, and you are not booting your live .iso medium (dvd/usb stick). Is that what's happening?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

Hi, Thanks for your answer. I have recreated the partition, then closed gparted. When I click on the insttall ikon on the desktop again, after entering the usernames and password, it displays sda1 as 1000Gb (which is correct) - then asks me for a / root partition to continue if I press the forward button. So what now?

Update: OK i now have it sorted - you have to aopt (in Gparted) to assign the partition to / !
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

- then asks me for a / root partition
This is somewhat confusing and I do not understand what this means. If you are booted in live mode you should not be asked for a password at all. You are installing Mint to your hd with no other operating system--right?
My take is that you have already clicked the 'Install Mint' icon. Have you seen prompts to set your time-zone etc?
-hang loose a few and I will post some screenshots for you.
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

Hi, Thanks for your help. I ahve now managed to install - I found that you need to select to use the new partition as "/ as root". When this is selected in Gpartition - then the install has proceded OK.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Wow--I had an unexpected interruption.
Edit: well it's good to see you are on your way. If you get stalled somewhere come back to this forum for
help--don't rely or trust sites outside. New users make this mistake too often and get unreliable or outdated information. Post back your opinion of your new LMDE.
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

Thanks. There is now a whole new issue. I noticed that there was a splash screen top right saying that the graphics was running software rendering mode that might use a lot of CPU. So I installed as many relevant nVidia packages as I could find in Synaptic package Manager. Some of these failed as it as said there were conflicts, so I cancelled them. It suggested a reboot to sort this out. Now it won't start the X server at all - so no desktop! Presumably it is now totally broken - and I need to re-install again? How would I know which of the many nvidia packages I need to install to get the graphics card running properly?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Perhaps at this point a reinstall would be in order.
Regarding this question:
How would I know which of the many nvidia packages I need to install to get the graphics card running properly?
Get back to a fresh install, open a terminal instance and enter:
inxi -Fxz
Note the space and caps. Linux is case sensitive.
Then copy/paste the results back to this thread. It's kind of a system overview and that information will be analyzed to get you the proper help with your graphics issue--just a minor glitch--once you get past this it will be smooth sailing.
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

Hi all41, please see the output of the system summary, now that I have re-installed.

optiplex9020 Desktop # inxi -Fxz
System: Host: optiplex9020 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.14.5+4) Distro: LinuxMint 2 betsy
Machine: System: Dell product: OptiPlex 9020 v: 00
Mobo: Dell model: 00V62H v: A01 Bios: Dell v: A14 date: 09/14/2015
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4590 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 26338
Clock Speeds: 1: 2107 MHz 2: 3300 MHz 3: 3300 MHz 4: 2454 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA Device 1288 bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.org 1.16.4 drivers: fbdev,vesa,nouveau tty size: 144x42 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 NVIDIA Device 0e0f driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.16.0-4-amd64
Network: Card: Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM driver: e1000e v: 2.3.2-k port: f040 bus-ID: 00:19.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.5% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB temp: 34C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 917G used: 4.5G (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 174 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 512.2/16026.1MB Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.1.28
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

That's a nice system. I do not know how to advise you regarding the nvidia drivers, though.
A couple of my systems have nvidia chips (not nearly as new as yours though) but in each case
the default nouveau drivers work perfectly. Wait for advice from someone who knows this graphics setup well,
perhaps even has the exact same.
Are you having difficulties with the defaults?
Post back the results of:

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -C display
and:

lspci -k
Those will reveal more detailed info regarding your graphics
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

Hi all41. Yes the software rendering mode warns of high CPU usage and the CPU monitor shows that all 4 cores are running at 60-70% all the time! So I do need to deal with this especially as this will be a platform for running other Linuxes e.g. Mint 17.3 and Centos using Oracle Virtualbox. So I need the CPUs doing as little as possible. Anyhow - many thanks for your good advice.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Have a look here. Scroll down and read from Nvidia-Detect - it's quite straightforward to get the correct driver using it. sudo apt install nvidia-detect should get you started.
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

1) The graphics card is: 2GB Nvidia GT730 PCI-E.

2) I have run the nvidia-detect and it suggests installing the "nvidia-driver" package - but there is a big selection of these for different debian versions from the debian website. Which is LMDE2 - 7 or 8 - or some other? Is the default driver package available from synaptic package manager?

3) This is the out put from the two suggested commands:

lmduser@optiplex9020 ~/Desktop $ sudo lshw -c display
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: NVIDIA Corporation
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e8000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff

lmduser@optiplex9020 ~/Desktop $ sudo lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
Subsystem: Dell Device 05a4
Kernel driver in use: hsw_uncore
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: mei_me
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Q87 Express LPC Controller (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1288 (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 8c90
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0e0f (rev a1)
lmduser@optiplex9020 ~/Desktop $
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

LMDE2 is based on Debian 8 Jessie
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Bobo-the-Cat wrote:1) The graphics card is: 2GB Nvidia GT730 PCI-E.

2) I have run the nvidia-detect and it suggests installing the "nvidia-driver" package - but there is a big selection of these for different debian versions from the debian website. Which is LMDE2 - 7 or 8 - or some other? Is the default driver package available from synaptic package manager?

3) This is the out put from the two suggested commands:

lmduser@optiplex9020 ~/Desktop $ sudo lshw -c display
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: NVIDIA Corporation
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e8000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff

lmduser@optiplex9020 ~/Desktop $ sudo lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
Kernel driver in use: hsw_uncore
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: mei_me
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Q87 Express LPC Controller (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 04)
Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1288 (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0e0f (rev a1)
lmduser@optiplex9020 ~/Desktop $
Sorry, I assumed you'd only read the Nvidia-detect bit, and just install from the terminal... no need for all that compiling or the other commands ;)

OK, nvidia-detect should have displayed a driver to install - for example, say it returned the following:

It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-driver
package.
So you'd just type sudo apt install nvidia-driver and reboot your computer.

If you want to see what will actually be installed, without installing; type sudo apt install -s nvidia-driver. Then just remove the -s to actually install.

(LMDE isn't as user friendly as the main editions when it comes to drivers and kernels, but it usually worth the effort)
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

Hi, The apt install nvidia-driver has just destroyed my installation again! Now X won't start. It appears that there is a package installed that conflicts with nouveau and that further configuration is required that I do not understand.

Surely it cannot be this hard to get an Nvidia card working with LMDE2. All I want is LMDE2 without it running in rendering mode using most of my CPU. Can anyone tell me how to achieve this? Presumably I will have to install for a third time now! Is there a simple way of stopping rendering mode using most of my CPU without stopping X from workin altogether?
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

So if the nouveau driver is supposed to work out of the box for Nvidia cards -then why hasn't it? If there is a driver maneger somewhere that I have seen refrred to - does anyone know how to run it? I cannot find it in the administration, display, sound and video or graphics menus and cannot run it from the command line. The splash screen still syas "rendering mode"!
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

This is probably too late to be of much use.... but I've successfully installed the "nvidia-driver" package in this manner:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-detect
nvidia-detect
Then, install whatever it says to install...AND the nvidia-xconfig package

sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig
Now, this is the important part.....you gotta run the xconfig

sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot
In my experience (which by some measure, is not all that extensive), not running the xvidia-xconfig command will leave one with a black screen on reboot.

Return to “LMDE Archive”