Boot incomplete - loop RESOLVED

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Boot incomplete - loop RESOLVED

Post by mike acker »

I think I messed something up

when I try to boot my LMDE/2 it proceeds normally to the screen for User and password
i type in the password which seems to be accepted -- but then the screen goes black and the system goes thru what looks like a partial restart

then it presents the user logon screen again

additional info

this is the machine i installed native Debian on.
i had the LMDE and KDE drives disconnected during the install
this morning i booted the box and it went into native Debian -- as the install has reset the BIOS -- normal.
when i did the restart to get to the LMDE/2 system I ran into the problem described (above)

the KDE system on port 4 does not seem to have been affected. any hints as to a fix --
otherwise I'll just rebuild the LMDE disk.

the system is installed with / and /home in separate partitions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Boot incomplete - loop

Post by mike acker »

Recovery Process

the failed system was installed with separate partitions for / and /home
after poking around on the net a bit the advice i found was simple: (1) backup everything in /home ; (2) re-install the o/s but do not format the /home partition

the idea here is that the data on /home will be preserved. i ran thru this using the new LMDE/2 ISO. the installer simply asked me tomark the / partition and the /home partition; it didn't ask about re-formatting. i suppose if i wanted that i could have initiated it;

after the re-install of the LMDE/2 system the system boots OK without looping. I expect I'll now need to re-install my software. It'll be interesting to see how much data is preserved.
Last edited by mike acker on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Boot incomplete - loop

Post by mike acker »

Recovery Process

after re-installing LMDE/2 ( as above ) I'm proceeding with software re-installs.

the one that was important for me -- was the Virtualbox. I had the .deb file for it and just re-installed it. I had to go out to the Virtualbox site and get the Extensions; the extensions have to be installed by the Virtualbox program itself;

Looks like time for a break --
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “LMDE Archive”