How to Revert a Kernel Update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

How to Revert a Kernel Update

Post by webtarget »

Hi,

I updated the kernel recently and it made my computer painfully slow. Luckily I have Windows 7 installed as well so I'm using that now.

I'm pretty sure it's the kernel update. I actually updated all the programs except the kernel and my computer worked fine. Later on, I updated the kernel and now my computer pauses for about 8 seconds, every 5 seconds. So, yeah, it's a pain.

A quick google search showed me how to revert back. I haven't done it yet. Just wondering if these instructions are good to follow:

https://blog.okturtles.com/2014/06/how- ... on-debian/

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to Revert a Kernel Update

Post by JeremyB »

Use the grub menu at boot to choose Advanced options, then scroll down to the old kernel and press enter to boot into it. Once booted into the good kernel use the Linux Mint Update Manager through View/Linux kernels to uninstall the problem kernel
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

I wish it was as easy as you posted! I was quite excited.

So, when I got to the menu, I went to advanced and I got 3 options, LMDE 2 64-bit (AMD), LMDE 2 64-bit (systemd), and LMDE2 64-bit (recovery). I'm not 100% sure if the options were exactly as I wrote. Since recovery looked like a logical option, I picked that one since I didn't know what systemd was. BTW, the linux version in these selections was 3.16.0-4.

So that seemed to work. Unfortunately, because of my curiosity, I restarted and selected systemd to see what that was. My computer hung with that selection. And so I rebooted and tried to go back to recovery. But, it's become painfully slow just like the original default selection.

I rebooted again and just checked the default selection since I wanted to see what kernel the default is. It's the same version, 3.16.0-4, as in the advanced menu.

So, it seems my advanced option didn't give me an option for an old kernel.

Any ideas what I can do now?

BTW, I burned an image of the latest iso and tried it out. It has the same results. It is very slow on my computer.

Also, I noticed on shutdown that there seems to be an error with a USB port. Some of the messages were something like:

USB port 4 not responding to setup address
Unable to enumerate USB device

And a bunch of other messages about my USB port 4 device error.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

JeremyB wrote:Use the grub menu at boot to choose Advanced options, then scroll down to the old kernel and press enter to boot into it. Once booted into the good kernel use the Linux Mint Update Manager through View/Linux kernels to uninstall the problem kernel
That works only in Ubuntu-based Mint... in Debian it's still the same package, linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Monsta wrote:
JeremyB wrote:Use the grub menu at boot to choose Advanced options, then scroll down to the old kernel and press enter to boot into it. Once booted into the good kernel use the Linux Mint Update Manager through View/Linux kernels to uninstall the problem kernel
That works only in Ubuntu-based Mint... in Debian it's still the same package, linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64.
Didn't notice it was in the LMDE2 area using search.php?search_id=newposts

Return to “LMDE Archive”