Install lmde using /target?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Install lmde using /target?

Post by feffer »

Using lmde for several years. It was installed in a multi-boot desktop with other linux distos and Win_7. Machine getting old, so I built a new one but have some concerns. On the previous machine, I believe (it's been a while) I installed lmde using the /target mode. On the new machine, I partitioned the drive first and planned to use the /target thing again, but when I got to the partition screen in the installer, it showed my partitions correctly and after formatting to ext4, it gave me the choice to choose my / partition, so I just went ahead and installed that way. Well the install seemed to work OK, and after adjusting fstab, I could boot OK, but something seems not quite right. If I launch gparted, it does not show the M.2-SSD where the linux distro's live? I have a second SSD for win_10 (don't know why I bothered), and separate hdd for win and linux data. Gparted shows those drives OK, but not the SSD with linuxes.

I'm wondering if I did the install incorrectly? I don't really understand what the debian "/target" part of the install. Do I need to use that method or can I just install to my chosen partition on an already partitioned drive?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Install lmde using /target?

Post by MintBean »

What's this give you?

Code: Select all

lsblk
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

Sorry, for the long delay, but here's an update.

lmde ~ # lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda           8:0    0 223.6G  0 disk 
├─sda1        8:1    0   450M  0 part 
├─sda2        8:2    0    99M  0 part 
├─sda3        8:3    0    16M  0 part 
├─sda4        8:4    0 222.2G  0 part 
└─sda5        8:5    0   848M  0 part 
sdb           8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sdb1        8:17   0   128M  0 part 
└─sdb2        8:18   0 931.4G  0 part 
sdc           8:32   0   1.8T  0 disk 
├─sdc1        8:33   0  58.6G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sdc2        8:34   0   1.8T  0 part /home/ron/data
sr0          11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  
nvme0n1     259:0    0 232.9G  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0  19.6G  0 part 
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0  20.5G  0 part 
├─nvme0n1p3 259:3    0  20.5G  0 part /
├─nvme0n1p4 259:4    0     1K  0 part 
└─nvme0n1p5 259:5    0  17.6G  0 part 
Also fdisk sees the M.2 SSD /dev/nvme0n1 partitions, but gparted does not. So the lmde2 install may be OK and the problem might be with gparted. So I ran it from the terminal:

lmde ~ # gparted
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1
Too few arguments.
======================
libparted : 3.2
======================
then checked for libparted with

lmde ~ # dpkg -l libparted*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                  Version         Architecture    Description
+++-=====================-===============-===============-================================================
un  libparted             <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  libparted-dev         <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  libparted-fs-resize0: 3.2-7           amd64           disk partition manipulator - shared FS resizing 
un  libparted-i18n        <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  libparted0            <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  libparted1            <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  libparted1.4          <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  libparted2:amd64      3.2-7           amd64           disk partition manipulator - shared library
lmde ~ # 
Also tried purging gparted and re-installing. Same result, no /dev/nvme0n1 partitions show up. This machine multi-boots with ubuntu and regular mint and gparted works normally on them. Will check the man pages on gparted next.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

OK, the man page is pretty sparse, but I got this hint to run from CL and specify the disks:

lmde ~ # gparted /dev/nvme0n1 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1
Too few arguments.
======================
libparted : 3.2
======================
Still getting the "Unknown error -1" but now gparted opens and sees all the disks. Maybe just a "Debian" thing?
Bottom line is that I don't think I need to bother with a re-install.

Return to “LMDE Archive”