[SOLVED] autoremoved network-manager and the greeter?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] autoremoved network-manager and the greeter?

Post by screenshot »

hi

i think i just managed to autoremove the network-manager and the default greeter, so how could i get them back?(i have like a blank screen and probably no internets atm - reinstall command gives some more missing "libdbus-1-3, dbus, consolekit, etc..." dependencies or something...)
and what is the default greeter for betsy and is there any last log files that i could view and see what exactly was removed?

and maybe the "yes, remove all of these now!" text confirmation needs to be added to more stuff, so that this thing could not happen anymore in the future? :roll:
i was trying to install teamviewer 13 in the first place, but then got some libqt5gui5 dependency errors, so i started to remove and update those, but something probably went too far....

and the last thing that it actually did was removing the libqt5gui5 stuff itself during the installation procedure? like i ran the libqt5gui5-5.9.1.deb package and then it said that i need to type in "install -f" to finish the installation, but the only thing that this did was removing the just updated libqt5gui5-5.9.1 package itself? (+gave the autoremove notice also). so what was the point of all of that..... :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: autoremoved network-manager and the greeter?

Post by kevinthefixer »

Easiest way out of that mess is a fresh clean install. Maybe the only way.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

kevinthefixer wrote:Easiest way out of that mess is a fresh clean install. Maybe the only way.
Yes that's correct
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

well, i managed to get some of the stuff back with the aptitude command, but now i am stuck with the default Xsession display manager?

so how could i get the lightdm or mdm running normally again? if i switch from the blank mdm to lightdm again, then it starts with the default Xsession again, but neither of them have any menus.... so how could i get the menus back? atm it says that mintmenu is already the latest version... but still, nothing is displayed except the mouse cursor... and i cant even press ctrl+alt+t to get the terminal, so i have to use ctrl+alt+F1...
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

ok, now i got the menus also back via this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras
but now it does not ask me any wifi passwords, so i have to enter each of them manually and then click on the wifi ssid again? :cry:

and the previous commands i used to get the lightdm and network manager back(by using a wired connection):

sudo dhclient eth0
sudo aptitude install libpam-systemd (because it was a dependency for network-manager)
so that gave me lots of options how to install it and i entered No couple of times until it offered me to install lots of things without removing the others (but still downgraded 1 package, which i dont remember atm). but it basically offered to install all missing dependencies, so i chose that option and entered Yes.

so now i only have this wifi issue and im not even sure how to get MDM working, because these commands..:

echo $GDMSESSION
echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
..told me that i am currently using lightdm-xsession and MATE, although i tried to switch to MDM via this command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

2 more issues:
logon box looks like its still the default and simple Xsession box
all of the windows, including the main menu have like a black bar around them, so they look kinda weird
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

If you'd just backed up your data and reinstalled, you'd have been back in business weeks ago. Any particular reason why you're not doing that?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

that would take too much time...
but now i switched back to mdm and also got some login screen themes going, so now there are 1,5 issues left:
1) have to enter all wifi passwords manually
1.5) mint-x theme has weird black bars around the windows and menus (i now chose another theme, which does not have these bars around...)
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

and i guess that the best way to check which display manager is used, is to type into the console: pstree
(and i guess the default for lmde2 actually was MDM, and lightdm was the simple looking Xsession version...)
everything else was solved with a fresh linux reinstall...

Return to “LMDE Archive”