Migrating to LMDE/3

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Migrating to LMDE/3

Post by mike acker »

I plan to migrate to LMDE/3 sometime in 2018, when the stable release is posted.

At this point though I'll need to replace my power supply from 450W to 650W so that I can add a new 2T drive to my box. the 450W PS has only 3 connectors for SATA drives (it might have 4 if 1 is connected to the DVD drive; can't remember).

once the new drive is installed I'll define 3 partitions: / /home and /swap ( I don't use the extended partition on this box )

at this point I want to copy the content of my existing /home _folder_ into the new /home _partition_ ( two users )
after that I should be able to install the new LMDE/3 into the / partition and have the all the data and user IDs hook up.

i'll still have a bunch of software installs to do. a few items that I'm running backport copies of -- may not need updates.

suggestions welcome

this is a bit into the future, pending the posting of the lmde/3 .iso

if i remember right LMDE/2 had an updated .iso posted about a year after its initial release. I'm hoping this happens with lmde/3 as well; and hopfully incorporating 4.14 kernel -- which has just now gone lts ) .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
TomRoche

Re: Migrating to LMDE/3

Post by TomRoche »

once the new drive is installed I'll define 3 partitions: / [,] /home [,] and /swap
3 suggestions:

1. `/boot`. I like to have a separate, non-managed partition (in addition to the 3 above) to keep things simple for booting kernels; dunno if this is now over-cautious and antiquated. For the other 3 partitions ...

2. LVM! (on LUKS) That being said ...

3. ... make your `/` partition bigger than you think you'll need, since (as you're probably aware) it will contain *everything* that's not `/home` (including, e.g., `/tmp`). I made mine size=20 GB which rapidly became overcrowded.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

TomRoche wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:47 am
once the new drive is installed I'll define 3 partitions: / [,] /home [,] and /swap
3 suggestions:

1. `/boot`. I like to have a separate, non-managed partition (in addition to the 3 above) to keep things simple for booting kernels; dunno if this is now over-cautious and antiquated. For the other 3 partitions ...

2. LVM! (on LUKS) That being said ...

3. ... make your `/` partition bigger than you think you'll need, since (as you're probably aware) it will contain *everything* that's not `/home` (including, e.g., `/tmp`). I made mine size=20 GB which rapidly became overcrowded.
thanks. I had been using 45G but this might be a bit much. the Debian9 installer defaults to 30. on these 2T drives though i'm not sure it matters all that much

one thing i'm looking into is loading the o/s on a SSD. just put the root [ / ] and [ /swap ] directories on SSD

I think, using a partition copy function I should be able to copy these directories from the development disc on the Researchbox and then just slip them into the Office Systems -- leaving their [ /home ] directories where they are.

I might have to tamper with the fstab entries to make it work
¡Viva la Resistencia!
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

It is not too early to plan.
Using a SSD is a great idea. I picked up a batch of 120GB drives on eBay for about $40 each. The performance is significantly better.

I recommend gpt file table if possible (if the new Mint installer supports it). That saves headaches with the limitation of 4 partitions.
UEFI. You may need a UEFI partition, depending on your machine. 1mb is enough.
Root. 15GB for root is more than ample, even on my server and experimental machines.
Home. /home should be on the SSD also, because of read/write times. Your machine will have to look in /home many times... if it is a Slow drive then the entire machine is Slow.
SWAP. use Swap if you need/want it. I usually make one of about 4GB, just out of habit.
Other Partitions. keep /home small, maybe 30 or 40 GB. That will be plenty, and
Make a separate partition for cruft/backup/<violates forum rules>/storage/whatever. It will also facilitate backups.

I suggest a fresh install. Jessie and Stretch are quite different. Install alongside what you have now and copy files as you need them.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

mike acker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:01 am ...
At this point though I'll need to replace my power supply from 450W to 650W so that I can add a new 2T drive to my box.
the 450W PS has only 3 connectors for SATA drives (it might have 4 if 1 is connected to the DVD drive; can't remember).
You don't need to upgrade the PSU just to add an extra SATA connector even if the box is being run absolutely flat out!
You can get various adaptors to split off the extra SATA power connector.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

axisofevil wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:57 pm
At this point though I'll need to replace my power supply from 450W to 650W so that I can add a new 2T drive to my box.
the 450W PS has only 3 connectors for SATA drives (it might have 4 if 1 is connected to the DVD drive; can't remember).
You don't need to upgrade the PSU just to add an extra SATA connector even if the box is being run absolutely flat out!
I agree. There are various power cable splitters available. I find many on eBay and Amazon.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:15 pm
axisofevil wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:57 pm
I agree. There are various power cable splitters available. I find many on eBay and Amazon.
thanks. they have molex->SATA connectors at NewEgg 3.00USD. I'll try one of these; It'll save me having to pull & replace the PSU

450W delivered at 12v is going to be IVO 35Amps. No way they are going to use that in the computer box; it would burn their wires to a crisp! (You need AWG 8 to carry 40 amp -- that's what you use to wire your kitchen range ).

450W delivered at 115VAC is about 4Amps. That's a lot for a computer box.
psu.jpg
OTH this PSU calculator recommends 460W so maybe I better go ahead with the change-out
¡Viva la Resistencia!
fjal

Post by fjal »

I like PCs without fans, without noise. There are some web pages that tell us about this as ...

http://www.fanlesstech.com/

Regards.

Return to “Installation & Boot”