I would love to go back to Linux right now.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wf54
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wf54 »

HP Pavilion Desktop570 running Windows 10 Home won't allow Mint 18.3 to install.
I changed the settings in the BIOS/UEFI including the secure boot but it still doesn’t load.
Alos tried five iso’s and two usb sticks.

It appears that ‘FAST START’ is still bypassing the USB and it also appears that Microsoft have taken away the option to disable it.
Talking to Microsoft, for over an hour, they didn’t or wouldn’t find a way to disable fast start and I only got told to contact HP.

Apparently companies don’t have to provide the authenticity keys to unlock the secure boot.
Another way for Microsoft to make more cash and shackle Linux.
Still trying but another couple of days and it’s going back not fit for purpose.

I purchased the machine and therefore own it, so I should be able to evict the lodger Windows 10. It’s like the lodger stopping the landlord form using the kitchen.

Sorry it this appears to be duplicate post but I couldn't fins a relevant answer.
Any idiot proof ideas to solve this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Mint 18.3 Locked out unable to install

Post by michael louwe »

@ wf54, .......

This link ... viewtopic.php?t=250237 says that LM 18.2 could be installed on HP 570. 7th-gen Kabylake processors require Linux kernel 4.10 or higher. If you have discrete AMD graphics card, please refer to the fix at ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257 and https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php

If you want to dual-boot LM 18.3(= kernel 4.10) with Win 10 in UEFI mode, you need to disable Fast Startup in Win 10(>Control Panel >Power options), disable Secure Boot and FastBoot and boot the Live LM USB/DVD in UEFI mode in BIOS setup. The CSM or Legacy BIOS setting should be disabled also.
... Check whether the hard-drive BIOS setting is in RAID mode, ie should be in AHCI mode.

Certain HP models may require the fix at ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=243338
wf54
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED-I would love to go back to Linux right now.

Post by wf54 »

My HP Pavilion PC570 won’t flaming let me.
Five iso downloads two USB’s and lost count of how many times I changed settings and restarted the dam thing.
Even after disabling secure boot and checking for boot with USB it still loads straight into Windows 10.
Sorry, once it loaded into grub and froze.
Apparently Microsoft don’t now have to allow you to disable the UEFI settings and HP up to now haven’t been much help.
HP know of the problem with their machines and Linux but you don’t see them letting the consumer know about them.
HP don't help you on weekend so I will be starting all over on Monday.
Last edited by wf54 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: I want to so bad switch to Linux but I feel like I can't right now. I hope I'm wrong.

Post by Spearmint2 »

UEFI motherboard? Did you try booting Linux using Legacy/CMS mode? If that works, install it in Legacy instead. It is possible to install both windows 10 and linux in Legacy mode.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: I would love to go back to Linux right now.

Post by Moem »

Mod notes:
- split this off into its own topic, please don't hijack other people's topics
- moved this from the Chat section because it's a support request, not chat

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Why five ISO downloads? If the checksum checks out, you know you've got a valid ISO.
wf54
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wf54 »

Thanks for the reply, I don’t wish to duel boot, just evict Windows.
I’m sure the problem is with the way Microsoft & HP have set-up the UEFI and secure boot.
Going to try and talk to HP and see what they can come up with.

Never had any issues installing Mint 18 on my ASUS which ran Win 8 and 10, but that was before Microsoft changed their policy regarding the disabling of the secure boot.
I could end up just forgetting about the warranty and put my old hard drive in, or just take it back and get a computer without an operating system.
Also you have to wonder how Microsoft got the job of regulating the UEFI keys, that’s just asking for trouble.
Frazatto

Post by Frazatto »

I had a similar problem with a Lenovo last week.
It seams, because Windows is so fat and slow, that to make people think their laptops are booting faster, windows doesn't make hard resets anymore. Even when you "shutdown", it just hibernate.

http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/how-to-e ... indows-8-1
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Frazatto wrote:I had a similar problem with a Lenovo last week.
It seams, because Windows is so fat and slow, that to make people think their laptops are booting faster, windows doesn't make hard resets anymore. Even when you "shutdown", it just hibernate.

http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/how-to-e ... indows-8-1
You can turn off Fast Startup within Windows.
wf54
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wf54 »

Sent the HP back, No hassle from the shop and the tech seemed to know about the problem with the secure boot.
Will this be a problem that the likes of HP, Dell and friends address, lets hope so.
wf54
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wf54 »

Why five ISO downloads? If the checksum checks out, you know you've got a valid ISO.
I was getting paranoid and making dam sure before I returned it.
UEFI motherboard? Did you try booting Linux using Legacy/CMS mode? If that works, install it in Legacy instead. It is possible to install both windows 10 and linux in Legacy mode.
Thank's I'm twisting about the fact that Microsoft have found a new way in which to screw everyone, I don't want to tern this into into a help question falling foul of the forum rules but I'm grateful for the reply. :D

The new Window's doesn't allow you to turn off power start which sucks and the likes of HP and friends don't have to allow it either.
So where does this leave those who develop software that are unable to cough up nearly a hundred dollars?
If the major player follow Microsoft on this issue what's next, they've started telling you now where it's best to get your apps, their shop naturally, soon it will be you can only use apps from their shop because it's 'SAFE'.
The HP's gone and back on Linux using my temperamental Asus that's on the way out.
Going for a machine that's has no operating system.
There's another issue, lets hope those selling Linux friendly machines don't hitch the price up for the captive audience Linux.
Told you, paranoid. :(
I'm now back on linux
Didn't intend to hi-jack this post I thought it was a valid comment, trying to get back on Linux,
Last edited by wf54 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

wf54 wrote:...
The new Window's doesn't allow you to turn off power start which sucks and the likes of HP and friends don't have to allow it either.
In Windows 10
  • Start Control Panel.
  • Click Power Options.
  • Click Choose what the power buttons do
  • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
  • Uncheck Fast Startup
  • Save
wf54 wrote:...
So where does this leave those who develop software that are unable to cough up nearly a hundred dollars?
Not sure what you mean by this.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

wf54 wrote:I'm now back on linux
Well, that's good news! Does this mean the issue is solved? Then please mark it as such. :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
wf54
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wf54 »

Well, that's good news! Does this mean the issue is solved? Then please mark it as such
Is it not for the instigator of the post to say if they believe that their problem is solved.

My problem wasn't solved, I just started using my older machine and sent the HP packing, so would you say that was solving the problem, maybe.
I don't believe this problem of the secure drive can be solved until Microsoft back-track.
MY reply to the original post was moved from the chat section although I wasn't asking for help just just pointing out some issues involving Microsoft that could cause problem for Linux.
It also was not taking over from the original post.
And it was also on topic as I wished that I could have returned to Linux on that Machine but couldn't and explained why.
This is and supposed to be in the general chat, DId it say 'HELP' no.
In fact you hi-jacked my reply off your own bat and stuck it here, without asking for clarity.
So can you solve a chat question?
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

wf54 wrote:
Well, that's good news! Does this mean the issue is solved? Then please mark it as such
Is it not for the instigator of the post to say if they believe that their problem is solved.
Take a deep breath and read it again. She was asking you if it was solved and asking you to mark it solved if it was.

edit: Did you try Jerry's suggestion?
wf54
Level 3
Level 3

Re:[SOLVED]I would love to go back to Linux right now.

Post by wf54 »

Deep breath taken, more than one.

Yes I did try Jerry's suggestion, failed but that may have been down to me.
Decided that the best option would be to take it back and purchase a machine without an operating system.
It ended up a choice between Zoostorm and CCL, decided to use CCL. Zoostorm systems weren't configurable.

This is an ongoing issue with the secure boot. bit it could also just have being a fault within the BIOS/UEFI, I don't know.
I believe, rightly or wrongly as it may be, that HP hadn't configured the disable secure boot correctly and it was just bypassing the USB.
Searching on the web it appears that this is not an isolated problem and not only with HP.

The secure boot came about due to security issues with Windows, isn't strange that the fix effects the competition.
My problem was solved because I've sent it back, I didn't wish to mess around within the UEFI.
wf54
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wf54 »

I'm up the creek without a paddle.
tried to install mint 3 from live boot. Like a complete idiot left the usb in and now it just loads into a screen with not icons to even log off.
right click will bring up box for, Add desklets, change settings.
made sure the setting were on show desktop icons but none are shown,
System setting shows under admin; driver manager, firewall, login window, software sources [tried to get an update and failed] and user and grooups.
I logout of user and use quit to shut-down,

Tried starting with the usb in to try and reinstall and it didnt work, uploaded bank into the background page, with usb out it just load into the background.

I'm able to change background, don't know about themes as all I can see is the background.

There's no software manager or terminal in the add deskits to open for me to do anything there, and I haven't anyway of looking at system.
Idiot doesn't cover it.
The computer didn't have any operating system per-installed.

To change user andl be able to shut down I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the Session box to log out.
This takes me to a log-in page with center left a Guest Session box with Log in, top right corner are icons for Accessibility, Keyboard, Date and quit.
Remember please you're taking to the village idiot.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

How did you make the Mint USB?
Did you verify the .iso you downloaded?
How to verify ISO images
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
wf54
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wf54 »

i made it on Linux, I tried to verify and it seemed OK.
Loaded up fine and ran from usb, when I installed and system was restarting I waited for the remove media instruction [a I did the last install I did] but the remove instruction didn't show and it restarted with the USB drive still in.
The computer will load without the USB inserted into the Linux desktop page without anything else working, no manager icons or mouse, only way I've found to close it is by using the keyboard shortcut.
question. if there was no OS could be boot order be wrong, in other words having nothing on the first drive it went on until it found something to load even if it was the last order.
I have two drives, 120GB & 1TB,
Is there anywhere that with verified OS file?
Last edited by wf54 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Please post the result of the Boot Info Script.
Boot Mint and install boot-info-script:
Open a terminal: Ctrl+Alt+t
Install boot-info-script:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install boot-info-script
Then run the script:

Code: Select all

sudo bootinfoscript --stdout | pastebin
Post the resulting URL link that displays in the terminal.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “LMDE Archive”