[SOLVED] (answered) Small LMDE2 install?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] (answered) Small LMDE2 install?

Post by Fuzzy »

Perhaps this question has been asked before, but I wasn't sure which search criteria to use in order to find the post(s). If it's out there, please let me know and I'd be happy to go read through the threads.

I'm curious whether there's a small or lightweight install option for LMDE2? Meaning: I don't use much of the software bundled with LMDE2, (Thunderbird, Pidgin, etc., GIMP, and whatever software I don't even know about which is needlessly gumming up my system)...so I wondered if there were options about what to install during the initial install.

If not - no big deal, I love LMDE2. Still, if there were a way to simply pick and choose which software I wanted during install, I might like to utilize that for my next install. Just asking.

Thanks!
Fuzzy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Small LMDE2 install?

Post by MintBean »

I don't think so. I use a simple script which calls apt to remove software I don't want. It doesn't exactly 'gum the system up' assuming you mean slow it down which is what it sounds like.
If you really care about shaving off every little thing which you don't need I would start with something super streamlined like Arch and build up from there rather than trying to remove components from LMDE.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fuzzy »

Hi MintBean,

Thanks for the response. In fact, having just read an article on Arch is what brought this post into being. As hard as it is to believe...back in the day, I was a Slackware user. It was "fun", and taught me some basics, but it was too fussy for me at times (and I did want a GUI Windows replacement at the time). I've really enjoyed Linux Mint, but I'm not necessarily ready to jump back to the "totally" stripped down models of Linux yet. I'm too comfy here. ;^)>>>

Fuzzy
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I hear you. I played with Arch (well an Arch derivative) for a while and it wasn't all that difficult to get up and running, but I was never confident enough that an update wouldn't break my system to get rid of Mint. After a couple of weeks I got tired of switching between operating systems and decided the little bit of extra snappiness wasn't worth the concerns over stability with Arch.
Mute Ant

Re: [SOLVED] (answered) Small LMDE2 install?

Post by Mute Ant »

I have spent the past week booting the exegnulinux distribution 'toram' as a contender for a keyring linux. I have been impressed by what the designer has fitted into a CD sized ISO and how responsive the desktop is on a single 2GHz CPU. It recently switched to a Devuan repository... no systemd... and uses the Trinity Desktop which is very 'XP' in appearance.

Return to “LMDE Archive”