After 2nd shutdown will not load desktop

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
solarmax

After 2nd shutdown will not load desktop

Post by solarmax »

[Solved] Hi there. After my first install of LMDE-2 Cinnamon. removed DVD and rebooted: all fine. was set ti log in automatically. Ran updates/upgrades, continued working; all fine. Shut down computer for the night, rebooted in morning came up with desktop that hangs and hangs. Pressed F1 as per prompt to select user, put in ID and p/w, screen goes black then has error message "unable able to load Cinnamon desktop" below which is a prompt "logout" Doing so just repeats the same cycle. I have reinstalled , re-updated, and everything works just fine. Any ideas please why this happened? And how to prevent it? I have not shut down system yet in case it happens again. I am running HP Pavilion t660a 2.8GHZ with 512MB RAM. Thank you. :?

Installed MATE desktop as per suggestion, restarted computer and it booted straight into Cinnamon desktop without any bother. So thanks all who made suggestions. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: After 2nd shutdown will not load desktop

Post by Pierre »

if you are indeed running HP Pavilion t660a 2.8GHZ with 512MB RAM.,
then that's likely to be the main issue: - - Cinnamon is quite heavy & your PC only has 512Mb ?.

you need to do two things:
- upgrade to 1Gb of ram, At Least !.
- change to a lighter Desktop like Mate or Xfce & thus not run Cinnamon as your Desktop.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
solarmax

Post by solarmax »

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to downgrade to Mate desktop without complete reinstall? :)
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

You may try via the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras
Then you will have to select Mate at the mdm login screen.

But 512 MB RAM is very few. You should upgrade your ram.

Return to “LMDE Archive”