Changing Droid to LMDE2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
merryoakparker

Changing Droid to LMDE2

Post by merryoakparker »

Is it feasible to change my Samsung Galaxy S 5 Droid to a LMDE2 operating system? If so, is it fairly simple and can a 10 thumbed klutz do it? Tutorial??

Thanks,
merryoakparker
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Changing Droid to LMDE2

Post by Bolle1961 »

If your samsung has an Intel / AMD 32 or 64 bits processor, you might have a small chance. Check the xda-developers forum.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/
You have more chance to install LineageOS
https://lineageos.org/
https://download.lineageos.org/
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Android phones have ARM processors, and Mint does not support ARM. Debian does, Ubuntu does, and others, I am sure. I have been considering installing LineageOS on my Galaxy S5, but haven't done it yet. If you do change your S5 to a different OS, please come back and let us know. Several of us may want to pick your brains a bit.

I have never see a full tutorial for installing LineageOS on a phone. Typically, they assume that you have already rooted your phone, and installed an alternative bootloader. I would love to see a complete how-to on this.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/surnia/install

It's for my Motorola Moto E 2nd gen (surnia)
For unlocking the phone the LineageOS gives the url to Motorola support for unlocking
Motorola recommends Android Studio but for some reason it didn't work for me, so I installed the adb and fastboot tools from the Ubuntu / Mint repos
Long story short, after installing LineageOS my Moto is working better then it ever did.
Google Play Store apps are available through the Yalp Store (download it from F-droid)
For paid apps you have to use your Google account, but it's a violence of the Google ToS, free apps you can download using the standard Yalp settings
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

I haven't tried LineageOS, but I have fiddled with Debian (and other) installs on my Asus TFs. I'd like to say the results varied, but fact is, pure Linux sucks on 'droids. A couple of times I actually got Debian running, even once a GUI desktop, very slowly and with no sound or wi-fi. I'm sure a team of develepors could eventually work all this out, but AFAIK it hasn't been done yet, and why would it? Android is a mature, stable, powerful OS that works exremely well with ARM processors (it has now been ported to x86 and AMD64 also; again why? We have much better alternatives like LMDE2 and Debian). I recommend you look for a custom Android ROM for your S5; I'd be surprised if you can't find at least a Cyanogenmod version for it. Although after playing with several ROMs on my Galaxy Tab 4, I simply rooted the stock ROM and removed the bloat, it works fine that way, the custom kernels all had problems. But I can't recommend adapting a Linux distro to any Droid; the closest I'd come to that would be to try Raspbian, the "official" OS for the Raspberry Pi, but you'd have some fairly serious development to do getting your hardware to work with it. The RPi Foundation has many man-years (probably woman-years too) in adapting Debian Stretch to the Pi.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

kevinthefixer wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:08 pma Cyanogenmod version for it.
CyanogenMOD does no longer exists, LineageOS is it's successor
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Interesting. I still have CM12 on my old LG 'phone, I think there's a CM13 update but I've seen no reason to mess with it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”