LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Questions about applications and software
Locked
JeZxLee
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:54 pm

LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Post by JeZxLee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi,

I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 64Bit Release Candidate.
I installed WINE 1.6 Stable in Software Manager, but it's not now listed in the Start menu?
I also downloaded Valve's Steam client for Windows, but when I right-click on EXE file WINE is not listed?

What must I do now to list WINE 1.6 Stable in Start menu and right-click menu?

Thanks!

Jesse

JeZxLee
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Post by JeZxLee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi,

Seems like WINE 1.6 stable in Software Manager is not fully working?

In terminal when I type:

Code: Select all

jezxlee@optimus-prime ~ $ sudo winecfg
cat: /root/.wine/system.reg: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/winecfg: 32: exec: winecfg.exe: not found
I get an error message?

Also, in terminal when I type:

Code: Select all

jezxlee@optimus-prime ~/Desktop $ wine SteamSetup.exe
wine: Bad EXE format for Z:\home\jezxlee\Desktop\SteamSetup.exe.
I get another error message?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Jesse

User avatar
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9075
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Post by richyrich » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Try installing winetricks also, it's in Synaptic Package Manager. Makes it easier to install things. And while you are in Synaptic, right-click on the installed wine 1.6 and see if there are any Recommended and Suggested additional files/dependencies to install. If yes, install them too.

JeZxLee
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Post by JeZxLee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:41 pm

richyrich wrote:Try installing winetricks also, it's in Synaptic Package Manager. Makes it easier to install things. And while you are in Synaptic, right-click on the installed wine 1.6 and see if there are any Recommended and Suggested additional files/dependencies to install. If yes, install them too.
Hi,

Tried what you suggested, WINE 1.6 stable is just not working on Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 64Bit Release Candidate.
I hope WINE is fixed soon as I do like to occasionally play some Windows only video games...

Jesse

hnsvm
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Re: LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Post by hnsvm » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:38 am

I have same experience. I also installed the 32bit libs, followed guides installing wine on Jessie. No go.
I also installed Debian testing, installed Wine and did not work. Same failures as with Lmde2.
Need Wine for two programs. Stick to Mint 17.* until Wine is running well on Lmde2

User avatar
rhY
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:13 am
Location: In the Woods
Contact:

Re: LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Post by rhY » Fri May 08, 2015 8:01 pm

I'm using the final release (MATE edition), still same problem, Wine doesn't show up. Unfortunately to config all my routers I need a windows tool that works perfectly in Wine.

Any potential solution or ideas here? What would the command look like to run something in Wine from the CLI? That might work.

Wine isn't showing up in the "Open With other Application" Dialog.

/edit

Found a solution in this thread:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=193994

Basically, click Open With Other Application, then click custom command, then type wine.

Happy hunting people!

/edit

Well, that didn't actually work. I can run notepad.exe, but any other .exe I try it says:

wine: Bad EXE format for Z:\home\rhy\Downloads\winbox.exe

So I'm at a stand still again.

Ark987
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:20 am

Re: LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Post by Ark987 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:46 am

rhY wrote:I'm using the final release (MATE edition), still same problem, Wine doesn't show up. Unfortunately to config all my routers I need a windows tool that works perfectly in Wine.

Any potential solution or ideas here? What would the command look like to run something in Wine from the CLI? That might work.

Wine isn't showing up in the "Open With other Application" Dialog.

/edit

Found a solution in this thread:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=193994

Basically, click Open With Other Application, then click custom command, then type wine.

Happy hunting people!

/edit

Well, that didn't actually work. I can run notepad.exe, but any other .exe I try it says:

wine: Bad EXE format for Z:\home\rhy\Downloads\winbox.exe

So I'm at a stand still again.
This is just another proof that wine IS broken in Debian Jessie.... but some people don't agree with it, anyway.... Try any of this:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4#p1006735

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9#p1009962

My own instruction are a bit 'messy' since either you have to use liquorix repo or manually install a .deb and resolve dependencies. I would suggest that you use the 'wine-staging' alternative first, you can find the official instructions here:

https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine- ... -jessiesid

wnarifin
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Post by wnarifin » Tue May 12, 2015 3:27 am

Thanks. Worked well for me :D
Linux Mint LMDE 201403, XFCE

User avatar
rhY
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:13 am
Location: In the Woods
Contact:

Re: LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Post by rhY » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:24 am

Figured out a new super easy fix:

apt install wine32

Took a bit of troubleshooting, but there was not 32 bit stuff by default in the latest 1.6.2 build included in Debian Jessie.

Ark987
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:20 am

Re: LMDE 2 64Bit RC-WINE 1.6 Stable Does Not Show In Menu?

Post by Ark987 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:50 am

rhY wrote:Figured out a new super easy fix:

apt install wine32

Took a bit of troubleshooting, but there was not 32 bit stuff by default in the latest 1.6.2 build included in Debian Jessie.
Even tho, in a clean installation just by installing that, when you run winecfg for the first time, you get the error:

Code: Select all

$ winecfg
cat: /home/user/Desktop/sdafdsaf/foo/system.reg: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/winecfg: 29: exec: winecfg.exe: not found
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =734253#21

There are several ways to fix this and in every system is different depending on what you have done :|

Locked

Return to “Software & Applications”