No LMDE-2 Flash player?

Questions about applications and software
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

No LMDE-2 Flash player?

Post by ddalley » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:31 pm

So I installed LMDE-2, did the updates, went to a news site and it won't play Flash videos. Yeah, yeah, I know - Flash is so yesterday.

Since I haven't dealt with installing anything Flash for a while, what is the recommended way of dealing with this kind of content in Linux nowadays, let alone LMDE-2?

mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Re: No LMDE-2 Flash player?

Post by mdavies5 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:22 pm

I have Flash in my installation and it is installed in Firefox. I cannot recall if it was installed by default or I added it. Use Synaptic and search for Flash. You should find mint-flashplugin-11 V11.2.202.451
Cheers, Mike

ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:47 pm

The Mint plugin is installed, but this site still requests a Flash update.

http://www.cp24.com/

mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:52 am

I have tested cp24.com with lmde2 and windows7 and it works with windows but not lmde2. However, speedtest.net also uses flash and works fine on lmde2; try it yourself.
This highlights the need for the industry to move away from Flash asap.
Cheers, Mike

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:54 am

Since Adobe quit supporting flash in Linux the only way I know of to get updated flash player is to down load Google Chrome as it has pepper flash and is relatively up to date. How ever Haven't tried it in LMDE yet.

you can add pepper flash to chromium browser also by following this blog. http://askubuntu.com/questions/562271/c ... th-firefox

and this one:
https://wiki.debian.org/PepperFlashPlayer/Installing

hope those are helpful :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:40 pm

The backports page lists wheezy. Should it not be squeeze for LMDE-2?

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:33 am

ddalley wrote:The Mint plugin is installed, but this site still requests a Flash update.

This is a problem of that website, not Mint's one.
If the official Flash test page shows you the video, then your Flash installation is fine.

Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:56 am

ddalley wrote:The Mint plugin is installed, but this site still requests a Flash update.

Another alternative. You can try pipelight if you really must have a newer flash version. Just do a search for pipelight linux mint through the forums or a search engine.

Agreed ....Flash is so yesterday......but....there's are tremendous amounts of flash presentations on the net and people still create using flash even though there are more up to date alternatives. Flash is not going to leave the scene real soon and plenty of sites disallow older versions of flash plugins. With adobe dropping linux support, we're stuck at the old v11 unless someone comes up with a solution better than continually hacking what we have in order to keep it somewhat secure and make it work in many cases. Sites that are set up to disallow flash lower than specific versions could care less how secure the linux version is. Unfortunately, it's all about meeting a version number rather than meeting safety and capability standards.

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:38 pm

as kc1di says above the best solution is to install Google Chrome. It will "just work".

You can install Chromium and install pepperflashplugin-nonfree through Synaptic and that will work as well, but IMHO if you are going to do that you might just as well use Google Chrome itself. My current Flash version is 17.0.0.169

:)

Sjeemp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sjeemp » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:09 pm

GregE wrote:as kc1di says above the best solution is to install Google Chrome. It will "just work".

You can install Chromium and install pepperflashplugin-nonfree through Synaptic and that will work as well, but IMHO if you are going to do that you might just as well use Google Chrome itself. My current Flash version is 17.0.0.169

I have the same problem and I see this answer all the time. I really would like to try it. However I cannot find where to download google chrome. I cannot find it in the download programs of Linux? Anyone?

Lisette
Experienced Windows User, Extreme Linux Newbee :) I just love plug-and-play!
Running Linux Mint 13 (maya) Cinnamon 64-bit on a DELL LATITUDE | D520

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Sjeemp wrote:I have the same problem and I see this answer all the time. I really would like to try it. However I cannot find where to download google chrome. I cannot find it in the download programs of Linux? Anyone?Lisette
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/d ... index.html

Select either the 32 bit or 64 bit version (depending on your LMDE2 version) for Debian/Ubuntu and download the deb install file.

In the file manager right click on the downloaded file and select Open With GDebi package installer. Once installed it will update itself as part of the normal Mint updates.

Sjeemp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sjeemp » Mon May 11, 2015 11:38 am

sorry for my late reply, but I thought it wasn't recommended to install software outside the special software management tools of linux? Or is there no other way in this case?

Thnx
Lisette

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE » Mon May 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Sjeemp wrote:sorry for my late reply, but I thought it wasn't recommended to install software outside the special software management tools of linux? Or is there no other way in this case?

Thnx
Lisette
It is not recommended to install packages from unknown or non-compatible sources. But this is straight from Google themselves and they make 64 bit and 32 bit deb packages for Ubuntu/Debian and thus are fine for Mint. The install process will add the Google repo to your setup so that in future it will update along with the system. If you have a web cam you can also add Google Talk plugin via the same process and then have video conferencing inside Hangouts in Chrome (if you set up or have a gmail account). Google support Linux and that is a good thing.

Chrome is the best way for any Linux user to have the most up to date browser and plugins. Some are worried about privacy and targeted advertising, that is for the individual to decide. Chrome will not run Java apps as they are considered too security weak. You can, of course, run Chrome for some things and Firefox for others.

Sjeemp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sjeemp » Thu May 14, 2015 3:37 am

ok, thank you GregE for the explanation. I have installed Chrome the way that was advised and everything just works again like i want it to be. :)

I was not the original poster of this question, so I cannot put SOLVED in the title now... but for me it is solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”