Steam on LMDE 2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Alley Cat

Steam on LMDE 2

Post by Alley Cat »

Does anyone here have Steam running on LMDE 2?

I tried to install it this morning through the Software Manager (steam-launcher) and everything seemed to go okay. It pulled in quite a few 32-bit libs. I then started it and ended up with the error: Fatal Error: Failed to load steamui.so

I googled a bit and found other threads at different places about the same error, but none were current and the resolutions all seemed different.

When trying to launch thru Terminal, this is what comes up:

Running Steam on linuxmint 2 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libGL.so.1
Error:
You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libGL.so.1

libGL.so.1 is not in the repos apparently. Anyone have a solution? I've been up all night and am about to go to sleep, so it'll be a little while before I get back. Appreciated any help!
Ark987

Re: Steam on LMDE 2

Post by Ark987 »

Is an Ubuntu entry but seems quite similar to your issue: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- ... issues/321 apparently you need to create a soft link.
Alley Cat

Post by Alley Cat »

Tried the solutions in that thread and did some more Googling and tried some other things. Still no go. I'm not as concerned about it now, though. I wanted to try Pixeluvo to see if it was better than GIMP and I discovered I could just download a .deb file directly from their site instead.
TravLR

Post by TravLR »

I'm having this same issue as well. Installing the .deb from Steam's website didn't change the issue. Every time I run steam from a terminal, this error pops up: "You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run: libGL.so.1 Press enter to continue:". Steam then opens a window and proceeds to show this error: "Fatal Error: Failed to load steamui.so".

Any help?

Running LMDE 2 x64 w/ 3.16.0-4-amd64 kernel, 2x Nvidia 660's (physically SLI'd but not set to SLI in the OS itself), proprietary nvidia driver 340.65.
TravLR

Post by TravLR »

Remarkably, after an hour of searching (and immediately writing my last reply here), I found a solution that worked for me! I'd give this a try:

1. Open a terminal
2. run "sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386"

Mine ran fine after that.

Hope this helps.
temper

Post by temper »

This also worked for me. Thank you!

Nvidia GTX 750ti
Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 64 bit
Cinnamon version 2.5.13
ionnoizer

Post by ionnoizer »

This post todaystill works ( mid 2017 ) !

Good job!

:wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”