Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
dclement
Level 4
Level 4

[NOT solved] Trash shown always empty

Post by dclement » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:58 am

Hello, who can help me solve this odd behavior of my trash can? It's always displayed as empty, either by the panel applet or Thunar or even Caja, which I tried just to be sure.

Now if I open the folder, I do see the deleted files and I can restore them. Trouble is, I have lost the ability to empty the trash in one click: since it's considered empty, the context menu item is grayed out...

TIA for any idea. BR, Daniel
Last edited by dclement on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Trash shown always empty

Post by Flemur » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:09 pm

I occasionally have the 'trash' bookmark greyed out with thunar (/Xfce); restarting thunar fixes it.

What does

Code: Select all

gvfs-ls trash://
or (they're the same for me, but thunar shows "///")

gvfs-ls trash:///
show you?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:13 am

Hi Flemur, thanks for replying.

Both commands do work, and give the same result:

daniel@m6400 ~ $ gvfs-ls trash://
6H00012012114.pdf
daniel@m6400 ~ $ gvfs-ls trash:///
6H00012012114.pdf
This looks normal: this PDF file is the only one in the trash at present, after all I tried to get it back working.

dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:00 am

Well this morning it appears solved. I was not particularly trying, but I happened to restore a file that I had accidentally deleted (there remained other files in the trash can). Immediately after that, the icons turned to "trash full" and the context menu "empty trash" was re-enabled.

So the trick was:
- delete several files
- restore one

I'm marking the thread solved, though I'm not sure that would work every time.

dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [NOT solved] Trash shown always empty

Post by dclement » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:27 am

Well, actually it's not quite solved. It's true that each time a file is restored, the trash is shown full (if there are other files that remain in it). But it doesn't survive a reboot. On every startup the file is (wrongly) shown empty again.

Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Trash and trash-full icons come with themes. Does the problem persist when the theme is changed to a common default theme?

dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 am

Mik3e wrote:Does the problem persist when the theme is changed to a common default theme?
Yes, I tried to switch from Mate-Faenza to Linux Mint icons, and no change: file restored --> trash shown full, next login --> shown empty again.

Moreover, it's not only the icon: the trash applet in my panel has a popup caption which says "trash full" or "trash empty" (mostly wrong), according to which icon is displayed.

White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:00 pm

This is the most recent thread on this problem that I have found. I have changed the icons on my desktop, and choosing the ones I like best on a per icon basis. From my observation a lot depends on which set you choose for the trash icon. Right now I am using the Oxygen theme trash icon because I like the way it looks. But it does not change. There is supposed to be a file somewhere that configures the icon behavior, but I cannot find it. Perhaps this configuration needs to be set manually?

Doing an Internet search on this problem, this bug has been affecting all Linux systems for at least 10 years with no defining solution and no developer actually fixing the bug. There was one thread started in 2006 on a bug report where the developer actually asked if it was still a problem since the reporter had been inactive for a while. There were constant reports that the bug was still happening and not fixed for two years before that question and the bug report continued on for another three with no solution or fix.

It had occurred to me to reset the theme icons and start over again, but there is no way to reset to Mint’s default set that is initially installed. Otherwise, I would start with the Oxygen theme and replace the other icons just so the trash icon would work. This is assuming that the trash icon works in the Oxygen theme. It used to work in the MintX theme, but not now. I can’t even find an icon for empty trash in the scalable or 128 icons. I have to drop down to the 48 size.

Also I have noticed that there is no consistency with the icon names or which icons are present between the different sets. Some sets, “default” for instance, are completely empty. It seems to me that in order to set the icons, when switching between sets or selecting individual icons, having all the icons present in each set (even if the same graphic is used for different icons) and using the same name format would make coding the OS and setting the configuration a lot easier. It certainly would make it easier for the user to find the icon they are looking for.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE
Toshiba Satellite L655d-S5151 (Intel dual processor, 64bit, 4G RAM)

dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:22 am

Funny this old thread comes to life again, I was about to post again. Here are a few remarks:

1) I have 2 PCs with precisely the same setup (well, at least it should be so): LMDE2, XFCE. In particular the icon sets are identical. One has the trash problem, not the other. So I'm bound to think it has nothing to do with the icon theme. Perhaps some hidden setting has gone wrong, but where?

2) On the 1st PC (trash-challenged) I recently happened to start Caja instead of Thunar, and lo! No trash problem with Caja. So I thought that Thunar was guilty, and I prepared to reset it.

3) But then I remembered that the trash applet in my main panel behaved exactly like Thunar. So would that rather mean a global XFCE issue?

At present I'm wondering: does Thunar govern the XFCE panels, or is it the other way around?

Still searching... BR, Daniel

White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:35 am

Well, I can’t try anything else unless I can find either the configuration file for the trash that tells Linux which icons to use and when, reset the icons to “factory settings”, or both.

If this were Windows, I would just go into the registry and fix it. With Linux, even a distro that is supposed to be easy to use, I have no idea where to look.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:15 pm

dclement wrote: 2) On the 1st PC (trash-challenged) I recently happened to start Caja instead of Thunar, and lo! No trash problem with Caja. So I thought that Thunar was guilty, and I prepared to reset it.
So you have both xfce and MATE installed?
That could be a (perhaps the) problem right there.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:18 pm

White Phoenix wrote:With Linux, even a distro that is supposed to be easy to use, I have no idea where to look.
Not quite. The main edition of Mint (Ubuntu-based) is the "easy" one. ;)

LMDE 2 is pretty simple to use, and in my experience is not harder than the main Mint edition, but the developers do warn that it is more for advanced users:
[Betsy is] a bit harder to use and harder to find help for, so it is not recommended for novice users.
https://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:52 am

(Sorry for replying late, I didn't get any notice about theses latest posts)
Fred Barclay wrote:[...]
So you have both xfce and MATE installed?
That could be a (perhaps the) problem right there.
Fred, I dont think so:
- 2nd PC (no trash problem): LMDE2 from 2013 ISO (hence Mate, no more XFCE then) with XFCE added over Mate.
- 1st PC (with thrash problem): LMDE from 2011 (?) ISO (the last one with XFCE). Then, I upgraded to LMDE2 and added Mate over XFCE in an effort to make the configurations of both PCs as similar as possible.

So, I have the 2nd PC as an example of the trash working well with both Mate and XFCE installed.

White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:00 am

Hah! Finally got everything the way I want it. Though I can’t say for sure how I did it. What did happen is I had given up and re-selected the base icon set and matched everything to that (Mint-X). The trash can icon still didn’t work.

Yesterday, I gave it another go. I changed the icon set to the one that I wanted to use the trash can (Oxygen). It still showed the Mint-X trash can. I selected another trash can, but instead of saving, I hit the “Revert” button that puts the icon back to the previous icon. Only instead of the previous icon, it changed to the default of the icon set I was currently set on (Oxygen), which is the one I wanted. I left the icons alone since they were the way I wanted them. I made changes to the rest of the elements of the theme.

Just now the trash icon showed “full” and I emptied it. It changed back.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE

dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:52 pm

Now that's something weird: it depends on the PC (laptop) being docked or not!
- PC undocked: Thunar's trash behaves perfectly well;
- PC docked: Thunar always shows the trash as empty.

Still, that's not much of a clue :(

White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:40 pm

It may be a variety of reasons caused by the way the desktop accesses the OS. The errors seem to be inconsistent as if the code has been patched and re-patched to accommodate different things for each desktop and now there is no uniform way for the desktops to interact with the file system and OS. Each desktop may have its own way of functioning which does not conform to the layout of the OS in general. So If you try to customize, it makes the desktops go crazy, because they can’t access icons from other environments, because the icons are inconsistent with what they are designed to look for. I don’t know if that makes sense to anyone else though.

For what it’s worth, Windows has the same problem with its trash icons, except in Windows you can refresh the desktop and the trash icon will revert to its proper state. There is a way to fix that in the registry, but I don’t feel like mucking about just to fix it in Windows. I don’t use Windows that much.

The only thing that keeps me from going back to DOS is there is even less software for DOS than Linux.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE

Return to “Software & Applications”