installing PPAs

Archived topics about LMDE 2
biggocharley
Level 2
Level 2

installing PPAs

Post by biggocharley » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:44 am

I'm running LMDE2 and am trying to install the ppa for grub customiser and I get this:

Code: Select all

charley@lmde2:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
[sudo] password for charley: 
Adding PPAs is not supported
charley@lmde2:~$ 
Is this unique to LMDE2? I've had no problems with Isadora, petra or Qiana.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: installing PPAs

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:09 pm

LMDE (both the old one and Betsy) does not support using PPAs.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2808 (2nd paragraph under the picture)

It has to do with PPAs being for Ubuntu, not Debian. Since LMDE is based off of Debian (unlike normal Mint, which is Ubuntu-based), it should not use PPAs.
Isadora, Petra, and Quiana are all Ubuntu-based--so are Rebecca and Rafaela; so if you have to use PPAs, you should stick with the Mint 13 or 17.x releases.
Otherwise, enjoy Betsy! She's my favourite release in the Mint family.

Sorry. :(
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

biggocharley
Level 2
Level 2

Post by biggocharley » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I really like Betsy and the PPA issue is not important enough to dissuade me from it. I currently have four other Mint systems and Windows 7 (which I rarely use) on my machine so i have a lot of flexibility. Juist for curiosities sake, what is to prevent putting grub customiser into it's own apt repository?
Thanks again.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 pm

[quote=biggocharley] Juist for curiosities sake, what is to prevent putting grub customiser into it's own apt repository? [/quote]
No idea.
It does look like compiling from source would be pretty easy. https://answers.launchpad.net/grub-customizer/+faq/1397

Is there something in particular you need it for? I've changed GRUB settings manually before--it's not usually too hard. Of course, I don't know your situation.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

biggocharley
Level 2
Level 2

Post by biggocharley » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Is there something in particular you need it for? I've changed GRUB settings manually before--it's not usually too hard. Of course, I don't know your situation.
I could change the settings manually--- I have done it before and somewhere in my docs i have the commands needed ==I'll have to dig them out and take a look.
I don't really need the grub customiser all that badly. I have my grub menu set to open LMDE2 as first choice , but it won't boot normally but boots ok in the recovery mode so I would like to set the recovery mode to boot first in line. until I get the bot problem cured. That's another issue which I'm dealing with on another thread <HDMI missconfig after upgrade? >

Return to “LMDE 2 "Betsy" Archive”