Cannot restore after hibernation

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
topolinik

Cannot restore after hibernation

Post by topolinik »

With lmde2 my laptop cannot correctly restore the previous session after a hybernation.
The pc turns on and mint loads as well, the issue is, xorg is all black and it doesn't react at all. I try to blind login but it doesn't seem to be received, i try to switch to another console but the screen keeps on black. The only working solution is hitting ctrl+halt+del, which of course, makes the hybernation useless :(
What can be wrong with my PC?
My /home was imported from my previous lmde1 installation, may it be causing a configuration mess?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cannot restore after hibernation

Post by titetanium »

HI,

Do you have a "resume=/dev/swap partition*" line in your grub kernel line? Better yet, you can test by hitting "e" then insert "resume=/dev/swap partition*" into the kernel boot line followed by f10 to boot. Then try hibernating and then turn on laptop, it should resume from the swap for it to work.

*Replace swap partition with the partition name the swap is located on, "/dev/sda4" or "UUID=lettersandnumbers"
stevedonato
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cannot restore after hibernation Mint 18

Post by stevedonato »

This happened to me as well (all of a sudden) Never ever had to add any restore or swap info to Grub to have Hibernate recover properly. I'm running linux mint since rel. 12 never had to do anything to have hibernate to work. So unless someone can admit that an update broke hibernation from working correctly, it is a new latent BUG in Linux 18.

Why is this happening?
Sailor in Florida
Penn

Re: Cannot restore after hibernation

Post by Penn »

Suspend and hibernation have been a back and forth on LMDE2 for me too. At first it did the same as you describe. Then after a kernel update it worked exactly as it should. Then, it seems, an MDM update took it back to not working. I adjusted a line in an MDM file and it worked again. Then something happened that caused it to have the same resume problem only once in a while. Then it just stopped working all together.

Finally I decided to try a different kernel. I already had the backports repo so I just went to 4.9. Every thing works as it should now.

Apparently suspend and hibernate are actually very complex procedures and what works on one or most hardware configurations may not work on another. It is impossible to test all hardware combinations.

LMDE 2 is Jessie https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

Return to “LMDE Archive”