Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
zaileion
Level 3
Level 3

Create an ISO of my current system

Post by zaileion » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:26 am

I have spent weeks customizing my system to perfection. I have an amazingly functional LMDE-2 system will all the packages and configurations i want. It took me years of formatting and reinstalling hundreds of different flavors of GNU/Linux to get to this point. Now that i have gained the knowledge and built a perfect system for my needs i would like to create an ISO of my system so i can create a live USB and install it on other computers.

Does anyone have some instruction on how to do this?

Thank you.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Create an ISO of my current system

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:48 pm

LMDE-2 is not Main Edition. Sometimes that doesn't matter, this time it does, because Debian Live is not Casper, and LMDE doesn't use Ubiquity. So asking here will get you all sorts of interesting advice that won't work for you.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:55 pm

Are you looking to make a bootable ISO, similar to the live Mint install disk? Or are you just asking how to clone your installation to other systems?

If you're trying to make a bootable ISO, the answer *used to be* remastersys. It seems to have some limited support still, but the main developer has left the project. You can find some instructions here: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/58 Can't guarantee it'll work for you, but worth a shot?

Note: the instructions are a bit outdated. You'll actually need to use deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mutse-young/remastersys/ubuntu trusty main as the repository in step 2.

If you're looking to simply create an image that you can install onto other systems, then I'd suggest creating an image of your disk with Clonezilla. It's not as convenient as having a DVD or single USB stick to boot into a live image, but seeing that the project is still active it may be easier to achieve: https://www.linux.com/learn/how-image-a ... clonezilla

administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14

Post by administrollaattori » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Something like this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools genisoimage resolvconf
mkdir -p customiso build/casper build/isolinux
sudo rsync -aAXv --exclude={/dev/*,/proc/*,/sys/*,/tmp/*,/run/*,/mnt/*,/media/*,/lost+found,/home/username/customiso/*} /* /home/username/customiso
You need to make an empty customiso/etc/fstab and customiso/etc/resolv.conf files.

sudo mksquashfs customiso build/casper/filesystem.squashfs
Now extract initrd.lz and isolinux.bin file from mint-installation media or make a new initrd.lz yourself, and copy initrd.lz file to the build/casper folder. Isolinux-files to the build/isolinux folder.

You also need to make isolinux/isolinux.cfg file.

When all the things has made, you can build the iso.

sudo mkisofs -r -V "My own ISO" -cache-inodes -J -l -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o MyOwnISO.iso build

sudo chmod 755 MyOwnISO.iso
PS. For installing from this iso, you need to install ubiquity-packages (ubiquity_2.18.8.12 + ubiquity-frontend-gtk_2.18.8.12 ubiquity-ubuntu-artwork_2.18.8.12). With LMDE you need to use debian installer or rsync/Grsync

PS2. I did not select my home directory (about 600 GB).
ready ISO2.png

Acewiza
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Acewiza » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:50 pm

I believe Clonezilla is the best path to follow. You will encounter few if any pitfalls engendered in the complicated mess of dependencies and byzantine steps outlined in the previous post, which as the 2nd poster mentioned, probably won't work by the end of the day anyway. :roll:

zaileion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zaileion » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:33 pm

I went with Clonezilla. Booted up with clonezilla. Created image from LMDE-2 Partition and copied to USB drive (Almost 50GB). Booted up my other computer with Clonezilla. Applied the image to the partition i wanted and rebooted. Worked perfectly upon 1st boot but GRUB did not detect my Windows Partition. I did a "sudo update-grub" and that fixed the Windows partition detection problem but now i have a UUID problem on the LMDE side. I get dumped to an initramfs prompt but don't know how to update the UUID. ( assume its a UUID problem anyway)

I can do a "blkid "to display the UUID but dont know how to fix the problem. I did a extensive google search but couldn't find any directions that worked. Maybe the search parameters I'm using in google are incorrect.

Any help would be great?!?

administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14

Post by administrollaattori » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:01 am

zaileion wrote: i have a UUID problem on the LMDE side. I get dumped to an initramfs prompt but don't know how to update the UUID. ( assume its a UUID problem anyway)

I can do a "blkid "to display the UUID but dont know how to fix the problem. I did a extensive google search but couldn't find any directions that worked. Maybe the search parameters I'm using in google are incorrect.
Correct UUIDs to the /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.cfg files.

atari800
Level 3
Level 3

Post by atari800 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:22 am

This is a fantastic article - excellent work people
Deja VU: When you get killed and restart your life at a saved point in time
Always research any suggestions given to you.
Admins: Please delete my inappropriate/destructive posts - you have my authorization

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:21 pm

zaileion wrote: now i have a UUID problem on the LMDE side. I get dumped to an initramfs prompt but don't know how to update the UUID.

sudo update-initramfs -u
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

nephilimrising
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nephilimrising » Sat May 28, 2016 7:43 am

administrollaattori wrote:Something like this:

sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools genisoimage resolvconf
mkdir -p customiso build/casper build/isolinux
sudo rsync -aAXv --exclude={/dev/*,/proc/*,/sys/*,/tmp/*,/run/*,/mnt/*,/media/*,/lost+found,/home/username/customiso/*} /* /home/username/customiso
You need to make an empty customiso/etc/fstab and customiso/etc/resolv.conf files.

sudo mksquashfs customiso build/casper/filesystem.squashfs
Now extract initrd.lz and isolinux.bin file from mint-installation media or make a new initrd.lz yourself, and copy initrd.lz file to the build/casper folder. Isolinux-files to the build/isolinux folder.

You also need to make isolinux/isolinux.cfg file.

When all the things has made, you can build the iso.

sudo mkisofs -r -V "My own ISO" -cache-inodes -J -l -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o MyOwnISO.iso build

sudo chmod 755 MyOwnISO.iso
PS. For installing from this iso, you need to install ubiquity-packages (ubiquity_2.18.8.12 + ubiquity-frontend-gtk_2.18.8.12 ubiquity-ubuntu-artwork_2.18.8.12). With LMDE you need to use debian installer or rsync/Grsync

PS2. I did not select my home directory (about 600 GB).

ready ISO2.png
Can you explain two steps for me if possible?
and

BrunoMiranda
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BrunoMiranda » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:09 pm

I have never used Clonezilla but I use fsarchiver instead. It makes a compressed backup of my current system state.

I can boot a Live DVD or USB install media and restore this installation into another partition, hard drive or computer.

If you are deploying the image into another computer, after booting you may have to install (or update) grub, change the hostname (to avoid network duplicates) and the UUIDs of the partitions (as stated above).

What I do is, after restoring the image, I chroot into the new installation (for that the Live DVD has to be the same OS version of the restored image), check and deal with grub, hostname, UUIDs, and then update the operating system. If updating the OS installs a new Kernel, it will automatically update grub and initramfs, so it cuts things easier.

At start this might be a little complex but with time and experience everything is a lot easier and now I can treat my OS as a chewing gum. If I screw up, I just restore. (Firefox Sync even brings my browser automatically up to date!)

With this I even have restored my 32 bits image into my 64 bits machine, and after polishing the above details, it even works on a completely different machine!

Let me know if this interests anyone and later on I can write and publish a proper detailed procedure...
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you fvckup :mrgreen: )

Return to “Software & Applications”